1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any one make their own trimmer rack?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KathysLGC, Feb 22, 2005.

1. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm trying to get ideas on making my own racks for my open trailer. I've done searches but only see commercial racks. Most i've seen cost $140-$180. They look simple enough to make but i can't weld. I might be adding wood sides to my trailer so I'm wondering how I might be able to build some thing on that.
    Just trying to get ideas if any one has some to share. Thanks.
  2. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

Last year I built trimmer racks, blower racks and rake racks out of PVC sprinkler pipe.
    Of course it was for an enclosed trailer not an open one but it might still work if your going to mount them to wood.

If you search the old threads for PVC racks you'll find my pictures of the racks.
    Or if you need I can just post them again.
  3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i made mine.

i took 1 1/2" square tubing and welded it pointing up on the inside of my trailer.

then i took some 1 1/4" square tubig and cut them longer. they slide right in the 1 1/2" tubing. I then got some channel tubing ( looks like a squared off C ) and welded them to the smaller posts. drilled holes at the outsides of the channel for a pin
    and viola... home made REMOVABLE racks. all for $40.00 and a few hours labor.

they are not vinly coated though.
  4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure when you weld the trimmer rack to the trailer you don't connect them at the top...they will get ripped apart fromne the flex in the trailer...I speak from experience.

I took 1 1/2" square tubing and welded 1.5" angle iron to in about an inch or so apart then drilled a hole in the angle iron for a peg to go through. The trimmer shaft gets held in by the peg.
  5. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: me too, 1 1/2 sqaure tubing and then took 1/2 round bar and bent it into "L" shape and welded them to the tubing. 3 per sqaure tubing spced a 1 foot apart, then i covered the tubing with clear plastic tubing to protect the shafts. ive had a few for 10 years and no problems. i have 4 sets and i think it cost me $100 for all of them together. tony
  6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Precoparts.com has a 3 space trimmer rack for like $69. That's what I use.
  7. hulan2

hulan2 LawnSite Member

8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I just checked them out they look good.
  9. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

10. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Man those look good but since i'm using an open trailer it would be easy for some one to grab it and pull it apart.
    I can't weld so making them would have to be with nuts and bolts. $80 from Preco doesn't look bad.
    Gogetter any problems with those? One thing i wondered about the racks, do they hole the trimmers tight? In other words do they spin or tilt at all while driving? I've seen sprays that you can use to rubberize things so I can always add that as a finishing touch. Any one ever customize their racks to also hold a back pack blower or are they not strong enough to hold 3 trimmers and a BP?