1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any one own a Gravley pm252z?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by griffy77, Jul 1, 2005.

1. griffy77

griffy77 LawnSite Member

Iam looking at buying a Ztr, and looking at Gravley Pm252Z. Iam currently running a 48" and 36" Pro H W/B and I love em. I have had no problems and run them hours up hours day in and day out and they still keep running great. I would put a Gravley w/b up against any exmark or hustler any day. I am just not sure what their Ztr are like. If anyone here is running one, could you give a little feed back.
  2. Iron Chef Lawn Care

Iron Chef Lawn Care LawnSite Member

3 - pm 260z gravelys
    2 - pm 260z, 60" cut diesel, 2004 model
    1 - pm 260z, 60" cut 27hp gas, 2005 model

gravely is far better than scag, exmark, ferris, hustler, etc.................
    they're all junk.....................
  3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

One 1999 build 60" Kohler (over 2,000 hours)
    One 2001 build 60" Kawasaki
    One 2000 build 72" Kohler

These are solid money-makers.

Finally had some hydro probs with the 1999 at over 1500 hours.

Seat tracks/adjusters broke on all 3 by 800 hours each.

The weak point is the non-greasable spindles. Have replaced several, probably from too aggressive pressure washing getting water in. It sucks because you ususally need to buy a new pulley too as they don't come apart politely.

Also, deck air-flow baffles weak and not bolted on sturdy...but they may have fixed this by now. All my 260Z mowers are first generation, and they have worked out a lot of bugs.

BTW IRON CHEF: What is the difference in fuel consumption and power between the gas and diesel? Is your 27 gasser air or liquid cooled?

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

i have a 260Z, 2004 w/ 25 HP kaw. and love it. no problems so far, 360 hours. i also have a pro h 36" wb with 60 hours on it, it's a 2005 and love it as well. i like the way gravely's are built. i looked at every model and every brand before buying and i chose gravely over everyone else. most bang for the buck. 13 mph, pivoting front axle, wide discharge tunnel, large 15 in. front caster tires, flip up engine cowling, and flip up foot rest. now they are priced very well. in my area, a PM 260Z M model starts at $7699. demo one first, but you won't be disappointed, they are a solid well thought out machine.
  5. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Sure Gravely is solid and strong besides very durable...how about the "CUT"?
    That what makes eXmark is eXmark and Hustler is Hustler. Not to rain on parade but I have not seen any Gravely cut that can beat Hustler Super Z or eXmark Hydro WB and Scag Turf Tiger.
  6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Quality of cut depends on the type of grass you have. Not to mention user aptitude, blade sharpness, cut height. My gravely PM 260 gives an amazing cut on St. Augustine, very nice on lush Bahia. Not so good on sparse Bahia, too many stragglers. But Bahia is THE sucky grass when it is sparse. Too much bent and lean then spring back up no matter the mower brand.
  7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

maybe not in florida, but up here gravely has a great cut. i guarentee that if you didn't know what mower cut a yard and then you went to look at it you couldn't tell me whether it was scag, exmark, hustler, or gravely. there is a blade spinning in a baffle, there isn't that much difference where the results are a perfect cut on one brand, and a bad cut on another, i just don't buy that. like precision said, a good cut depends on several conditions. gravely can run with the best of them, im sure of that.
  8. griffy77

griffy77 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, thanks for your feedback. Its good to see other pros out there using gravley. I know Exmark, Scag and Hustler own the lawn care industry but I think in time people are going to see how great these gravleys are and the price can not be beat.

As for the cut, both my 36" and 48" make a beautiful cut. My biz is growing and need to step up and I have been looking at getting a Ztr, but want to be certain before taking the plunge.