Any one run double blades on a Toro Z100 mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by barringtonbrothers, Apr 25, 2004.

1. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

If any one does and could tell me how they did it or who sells a kit for my mower I would be very grateful. Been looking for something to help mulch better and cut cleaner the first time around.

2. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I just finished last week running doubles on my 44"/17hp all week. We had rain and snow most of the week. You need to go and buy 3 three washers with 5/8" center hole. Put your blade on as normal one in the blade collar then use the washer to help "fir out" the next blade. Most on this site run a gator blade on top and a high lift on the bottom. I used high lifts on both because thats all I had, it worked great. With doubles on that small of engine it was taxing in the tall wet grass, but does fine when dry.

3. barringtonbrothers

Will it tear up my spindles? And what about the bolt do I need a longer bolt? so it fits safely?

4. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

I've ran doubles on my 23hp/52" Z-Master with good results.I don't feel that you need a longer bolt as long as you tighten it properly.You will need the washers to take up the space between the blades.I've thought about having the blade saddles notched to allow doubles to be tightened together.The one drawback I had was considerable blowout on the left front of the deck.Hope this helps,Richard

5. bart may

from montana

The original bolt will work just fine. You definatly will get some blowout in the front, but I'd rather have that than having to double cut.

6. barringtonbrothers

I tried putting doubles on my toro z but it sucked. I put 2 washers to make it fit out side of the blade saddle, the blades sat right on the saddle. I found it made my mower much more prone to scalping - I cut at 3.5 inches, and it didnt stripe very well. It works all right on my toro walk behind, and really good on my proline 21inch toro with the mulch plug in. Any one know how I can make the Z stripe better, any one offer a good kit?

7. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use doubles on my Z100 during clean-ups and it helps a little, but I have to agree that it does not improve stripes.

8. bart may

from montana

like I said earlier. I just finished using mine for the 2nd week and it stripes awesome sorry that yours isn't working. You'll always be more prone to scalping if you lower the blades.

9. barringtonbrothers

I adjusted the cutting height so it took in account the blades new height. The problems is instead of sitting up inside the deck like it is designed to it sits toward the bottom and doesnot have the same give when run correctly with only one blade per spindle.

10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

might want to check out meg-mo's....many here like them.
    they are a sponsor here so their web link is at the top of the page.