Any one tried a Meg-Mo -- disc with 4 blades????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hebron, May 3, 2001.

1. hebron

hebron LawnSite Member

I have run across what seems to be a novel idea for mower blades. A round disc with 4 small blades attached to it. This replaces the standard straight blade. Maker claims it mulches better, uses less horsepower and stays sharp longer. As it will cost me $171 for a set for my Woods MowN Machine, I thought I'd do a little asking around first. Their website is:

Thanks. Tim
  2. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Looks interesting but too pricey. Think I'll stick with doubles. Russ
  3. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's great that you're asking the question. I have seen this on the web, but since I don't have any horsepower issues with my current or past mowers, I didn't pursue it. I did wonder though, why if it's so good aren't about twenty guys [led by Eric of course] shouting the praises of this gimmick, er, I mean accessory. I just bought a set of Exmark factory low-lift Bahia blades to try when mowing wet, the usual situation here, and I could buy about five sets for the cost of this unit. I can get the Chopper blades even cheaper and get 6 sets. I think aftermarket, catalog blades are cheaper yet, so you do the math. Even if you don't like double blades, you'll still need extra blades so you're out nothing, but if these don't work out and they don't have a track record you could be out some serious bucks. Good luck with your decision. Will M.
  4. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I used to mow my neighbors hay field with a Krone cutter that had blades simular to these. There were 10 cutters on a 10 ft arm and they would lay down 2 ft tall hay like a hot knife thru butter.

But mulch on a lawn mower?? I would have to see it to believe or before I would buy them at that price.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Sharpening these 6" blades would be my main concern. Just too short to feed through the Fireball Jr. I am presently using DC blades on my 60" LC Lazer with fantastic results. No doubles, just non-notched foil 9" cutting edge DC blades. Make a noticable difference from Exmark notched foils.

The Meg mo system is just too pricey for me to just "TRY". I am real finicky about my blades and am learning new things about them every day.

6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

if you ask me it looks like double blades without the full blade. not worth it to try for that price, but it could be the next best thing.
  7. DeepDivot

DeepDivot LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Although the initial cost is high, it looks like the replacements would be a less than doubles (just replaced the singles on my JD tractor for almost $60), plus (at least per their web page), they last longer. Add the fact that they give a little when hitting objects, they could be worth it for some.
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

dont like to buy something like this without being able to inspect the workmanship in hand
  9. Dan Stoms

Dan Stoms LawnSite Member

I have a set and if you cut in wet grass they work really well. Chops it up very fine ,throws clipping out like they were dry. Double blades may do the same thing,haven't tried them. The blade tips aren't too expensive but don't last much longer than single blades. I don;t think they're thick enough.But to me the idea of having four blade tips cutting at the same level instead of two without any added work was too tempting to pass on.(This was before Lawn Site).I'm glad I tried them. I like them on Bahia grass too.
  10. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

SAVE your money!!!
    I've tried them and they are not worth the money,in my opinion .E-mail me if you need more info.