Any one tried "The NEW Director"??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Esby, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious if anyone has recently purchased "The Director" from York Sheet metal. If you go to their website you will notice that they have redesigned it, along with that came a price hike from $175 to $235. I'm looking for reviews from both people that have the new-redesigned model and from those that ordered theirs earlier and also have testaments to share. Thank you for your opinions.

Here is the web site for the product:
    http://www.yorksheet.com/prod03.htm

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have the "Older" style Director. Cant see using a Lazer without one! I can see that the new "Superstructure" design allows for better ergronomics. Will I upgrade....Probably not. I rarely use it "in between", its usually fully open , or fully closed. Dave at YSM is a real nice guy, and has stood behind his product 100%. I was the first "paying" customer for this and their roller, so I guess I was one of his Guinnea Pigs!

Between this and the striping roller, both are "required" for everybody with a Lazer! They're "Investments" that will net you lots of money!

3. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I redesigned the "old" director last year to make it easier to reach.

director.jpg

4. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

When using this addition to your Lazer, when the "director" is fully closed, do you get lots of clumping of grass. I have never used a mulching kit, but I would like to find a way avoid clippings in beds and tree rings.

5. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I ordered the NEW director today. I will let you know what I think of the new design and how it preforms when I get it and install it.

6. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I have the new design. I like it a lot. I have never owned the old design so I really can't tell you the difference. Dave told me when I ordered it that the old design didn't seem to hold up as well. It was very easy to install and is really nice to have. In tall grass it will clump up a bit but I just run over it again and you can't tell. Majority of the time it's open so clumping isn't a big problem. I would agree with TLS, it's a must have. Next purchase will be the roller :)

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Todd, did you just use the existing pod mount to the deck, and weld extension onto that? Or, did you make a whol different deckmount? I noticed you DID have a brace running from the bottom, to the midsection, where the top of the bend is. I would like to do something like that with mine, as well. Mine is just a little crowded with the headlight mount right there. I was thinking of twisting my handle setup around 90 degrees, so it goes straight forward and down, also.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, is that just flat stock you used for that extension? Or is it tube? (It was kind of hard to tell from the pic) Thanks!;)

9. GreenQuest Lawn

Runner,

The "s" shaped piece and the brace are the only additions. We cut the original upright piece and put the "s" piece in. It was a little wobbley so we added the brace.

10. GreenQuest Lawn

Runner,

It is just flat stock.

Here are some different pics, they may help some more.

director2.jpg