1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any one use a "Super Chip" in your trucks?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nobagger, Jul 6, 2008.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I was looking into buying a super chip for my 06 F250 SD. Its a big investment at 500 bucks but if it pays for itself in a year to me its worth it. I have a K&N air induction kit but I really didnt notice any fuel savings or power gain, just made it louder than hell in the cab accelerating. Thanks in advance.
  2. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

have an '03 6.0L diesel superduty, and considered a supertuner and decided not to for warrenty reasons. the only mods I have are a 4' turbo back exhaust, dealer said it was ok as helped to keep turbo temp down, a bypass engine oil filter, and a collant filter.

I have heard that the K&N and other aftermarket air filters can cause problems, and definetly warrenty problems. The Ford stock Donaldson air filter is one of the best rated air filters out there. Go over to the Dieselstop.com forum and you will learn a lot.
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I just have a 5.4L gasser. Im not necessarily looking for more power, it tows our enclosed trailer fully loaded and a bed full of wet grass just fine. Just trying to get a few more MPG. I estimated 9.5 to 10 MPG loaded down and not much different empty.
  4. jkingrph

That mpg sucks. Makes me glad I hav a diesel even though it's $0.80 more than regular around here. I have a long bed crew cab. 4x4 with camper top. I do not tow much, mostly a small tandem axel utility trailer, and since all the fuel price increases have slowed down quite a bit. I'm running between 55 & 60 on short trips, less to and from work and getting in low to mid 20's.
  5. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

NO way a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel gets in the middle 20 mpg or EVERYONE would be driving them.I know 3 guys with F350's and they get anywhere from 14-17 tops mpg.I had the salesman swear that a gas F250 gets 18mpg normal driving.I told him if he would put that in writing and that I could return it and get my money back I will sign right now.He said welllllll....... it SHOULD in ideal conditions.I am on my third F250 and know what they get for mileage---crap....
  6. jkingrph

Just filled up yesterday, 228 miles, 12.3 gal. No it's not 20 mpg, but to and from work 6.5 miles one way and not enough time and distance to really get the engine hot. "If" I drive it right I can get in the low to mid 20's on the highway, and a lot of things affect that. I have a scan gauge installed, shows mpg, speed, rpm and a lot of other things. One significant thing I have noticed is the affect strong headwinds have on mpg, a lot.

If you want to get high mileage, slow down, accelerate slowly, and coast down to stops when possible. For me that's fine in local everyday driving as it does not add that much time. When I hit the road for a 200 mile or better trip, we are moving, and mileage suffers.

These trucks are capable of better mpg than most people get, but you have to make sacrifices in driving habits to achieve high mpg.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Not when you start loading them down with all of the weight that a LCO has to pull. It's going to take power to get a 5,000 plus pound trailer moving and keep it moving.

Even with my 5.0 powered f-150 it takes a lot to get the whole load moving. My current load is around 4,200 pounds and I'm getting 11.7 MPG.

nobagger, I don't know whether or not a Superchip is going to help with your fuel mileage issues. They are usually pretty good at tightening up shift points and adjusting timing for maximum power but I don't think they do much for mileage.
  8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

My 04 5.4 gets 13.5 working but no better than 16 empty AT 65 DOWNHILL WITH A TAILWIND.
  9. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I'd like to chip my F-450 PSD later this Summer or early Fall, seems I only get 400 kms loaded on a tank, but empty driving gives me 850 kms or better if I drive like an old lady.

But I want the setup that you can turn off, so it can only be used for towing, and I ain't no hot rodder.
  10. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

No No No! Worst investimentever. Go with a real band for alot cheaper, bully dog, edge, SCT any of those.