Any one use Tanaka Trimmers??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Mr. Burns, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Mr. Burns

Mr. Burns LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone had any good experiance with these products. I am willing to try new things and stuff the "masses" don't use. I'm still not sold on Stihl/Shinndy/Echo and thought maybe these Tanaka's might be a fun product to try.

Do they have a 4-stroke or a quiet machine???
  2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Don't know about todays models. Had one years ago. Was hard to get parts for but was an ok trimmer over all,just lacked in power a little. I'd check your dealer support before buying one though. Husky was the same way here, you can get parts but takes longer than for other brands. jmy.02
  3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a four stroke Honda line trimmer, which is a great machine, powerful and quiet, but it is heavier than others. More importantly than a line trimmers weight would be the weight of a power hedge trimmer. Even the two stroke models can get pretty heavy, especially if your pruning a large hedge or number of shrubs.

I don't think that Tanaka has a four-stoke out yet. I've used mostly Stihls, some are heavy, but I do like the one with the swivel handle. Tanaka also has a new model out where you can change the position of its handle. All seem to be loud buggers requiring ear protection to maintain your sanity.
  4. rander

rander LawnSite Member

I've used a Tanaka TBC 220 for about the last 12 years with no problems. It is used to trim around the yard and around about 2000 feet of horse pasture fenceline and around the outbuildings. The only problem I've had was the original string head wore out after about 8 years and had to be replaced. Otherwise it has been a trouble free workhorse trimmer. Like all small 2 cycle engines like this, they need to be maintained; fresh fuel, I change plugs every 20 hours and keep the air filters clean. I prefer the straight shaft trimmers because they seem more durable. I wore out a couple of curved shaft trimmers before I got the Tanaka. I use the 0.085 green trimmer string because it seems to give me the best balance of speed and durability.