Any opinions about wire connectors?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mike Leary, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I've used King "blues" for years and wondered if any of you have found a connector that can be re-used after changing a solenoid.

2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

I think the ones I'm getting ready to try are reusable.they are expensive though .i think they are a blazing product,ill find a link
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen re-usable connectors before, but not in years. They looked just like any other plain wire nut, but when you twisted the plastic, it came right off, to expose a machined brass core, with a recessed set screw on the side that would mash down on any wires inserted into the end opening.

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

ace connectors are reusable. you do have to skin and clean them and use h2o proof shrink wrap though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

This was in the days before the modern trend of no one wanting to dig deep valve boxes with room for wire nut connections to stay high and dry.

6. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I've had the idea of reusing DBRYs and just refilling the boot.

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

come to think, beanpole fills his nuts. wire nuts that is
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Mike Leary

Jim is right, my buddy Russ does re-fill the DBY tubes with very pricey goop.
    Good idea, though.

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Do the King "blues" still have the white grease in them? The small black and white and medium black and gray ones, sold as Dry Conn, have a clear synthetic grease that holds up a lot better. I've had the white grease dry out on some lighting jobs where I used them.

Here's another one. Sold mostly for lighting, could work for irrigation too. http://www.lightingshrink.com/

10. Mike Leary

The Kings still have white grease in them, but it seems to be improved so they don't dry out anymore. What still happens, is the bottom cap comes out when you try to unscrew them. :hammerhead: