Any oppinions on Cell Data Plans and contracts?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bill8379, May 19, 2008.

1. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm finally getting a new Cell, I'm going to get the Blackberry Pearl.

Right now I'm not under contract, I've been month to month for years. So I'm trying to decide If I should buy the cell phone out right and go back to month to month (I don't know if I'm saving any money actually, my cell is still $55+ a month). Or should I go get the phone discount and get the 1,2, or 3 year contract. The more years you sign for the less you pay for the phone.

I'm just not sure if there is any advantage for me and I'm looking for people's opinions who have thought this out.

I also have this feeling that I will be getting a Data package that includes the internet. I don't use this much but I do want to experiment with it a bit.

2. Kressious

Kressious LawnSite Member

If you're happy with your service, then I would suggest getting a new contract and seeing if you can get that phone for free/highly discounted.

I have a friend who works for Verizon and he told me he'll give away the best phones they have in order to get people on a 2-3 year contract or multiple line contracts.

I'm sure there is a better service contract you can negotiate for if you sign for 2-3 years and the phone will be cheaper. I wouldn't doubt it if prices dropped and services plans got a little cheaper compared to what you have now, especially if you want to add internet usage on it.

As long as you're happy with the service and don't mind being in it another 2-3 years, it's a win win to get in the contract again.

3. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Very happy with the service. It is MTS (Manitoba Telephone System) HUGE business that used to be, basically, a government monopoly. I've gotten screwed over by Roger's and would never go back.

I never even thought about whether I'm happy or not with there service. I have their cell phones, land lines, TV and DSL, LOL I guess I'm happy with them.