any other paper mill employees?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lakegastonla, Dec 30, 2000.

1. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Am I alone, here or does SOMEONE else work in this industry??

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not in the paper mills but I work in an area that has many of them. I have been in a few of them in town for fire inspections as well as for small fires. Ive also taken a fair amount of injured people out of them. Pretty loud, pretty humid in some places. Tough job if your in the thick of it.
    They always say that this area will withstand any downturn in the economy because no matter what happens, everyone needs $h!tpaper.;)
    Happy New Year - Stay Safe

3. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I work for a folding carton manufacture here in chattanooga .we cut boxes (pizza, garment,food trays etc...)what company do you work for in nc?we buy some of our paper for out there plus we also sell our scrap to willmington paper.

4. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Hi lee! I work for International Paper. We used to be Champion International but were bought by IP this year. Champion was a lot better to work for. IP sux!! Talk is that we will be "downsizing" first of the year, so I might be a full time landscaper, shortly.

PS it is probably our mill then, because we make the brown paper and spray white top paper for those type of boxes.

5. BCLawncare

BCLawncare LawnSite Member

hello lakegastonla we run a whole tree chipper on our logging site, producing whole tree chips for ip`s terre haute IN. mill. this is about as close to the paper industry as i get.

6. zimm4

zimm4 LawnSite Member

My first real job was at a box plant.
    I quit after 5 years. The place was,
    A hell hole.

Looking back it was the best decision I made.

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

At one time I worked at the Scott Paper Company in Everett Washington where we made toilet paper. I moved out there in September and 2 months later, I moved back to Illinois. It rained every day and I saw the sun for 10 minutes one day of the 2 months we were there. I was sick most of the time I was there. You can have Washington. :)

8. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

ya your right we do buy from you guys an also westvaco over there.I've been working there for 14 yrs.i kinda got it made now but your right it is hell at first.

9. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

I don't work in paper but I smell it every morning when I drive by a Mead paper mill. I use paper, sometimes I even buy paper. I use to sell packaging and we competed with a few paper houses.
    I moved to Florida for a year and couldn't escape the paper smell as Amelia Island had a big paper mill on it. So you see, I feel like I have paper industry experience. Does this count?

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i dont work in a papermill, but i do work in a printshop, it is a gravy job for great pay, been doing it 16 yrs. operate my lawn service during the day, then print at night, only bad part is being inside. sounds like that papermill job really stinks. we use rolls(web shop)hope to be full time lawn service someday