Any other way than the hard way?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Green Gopher, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Green Gopher

Green Gopher LawnSite Member

I looked at a bid this weekend that I thought was going to be a fairly simple job.

The client has a 35 x 75ft sloped yard that he wants leveled, or at the very least the slope decreased. He wants soil moved from the high side to the low side and then extra fill brought in. Once that's completed he wants the lawn installed.

Now for the hard part! All the soil has to be moved by hand, and any soil brought in has to be moved by hand, or blown in from the street 250ft away. At it's lowest point the yard must be raised 4' 6" for the regrade. There is no way to bring in any equipment larger than wheelbarrows, and I will have to remove two small gates just to fit them into the backyard.

To say the least the cost and man hours will be high, much higher than I think this guy will pay. Leaving the slope is not an option for this client. Is there any easier way to move all that soil that would cut labor cost? Have any of you done similar jobs to this one?

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

use a dingo and a power buggy to move the dirt

3. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

what dusty said

4. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I have done jobs similar to this and like any other bid, you have to take into consideration the difficulty to access the job site. The customer should realize that the labor rate will be high due to the lack of access to his yard.
    Definitely rent a Dingo and bid it so the customer pays for the rental and you make a good profit. Good luck.

5. Green Gopher

I'll have to check the rental shop, but I thought a Dingo was about 3' wide. The only access without steps is only as wide a wheelbarrow(after I remove the gates).

6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Take a section of fence out if possible????

7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have any access from a neighbors yard.

8. Green Gopher

Kris,

I wish I could, High rock wall on the left and house on the right. The gates go between to keep a dog in. A true rock & hard-place job. I explained to the client the bid will be high. I just don't think he has any idea how expensive labor is. He had already received one bid and said "It was way to high and would take six weeks to complete". My bid will be the same way.

9. Green Gopher

No other possible access. North property has a 15' rock wall, south has house then decking, East 400' straight down view cliff, west of course is the path I stated before. This place is on an island and the homes are as close together as they could make them. Plus the strong elevation change required all the walls between properties.

10. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I'm not sure how wide our mt50 bobcat is but do a search on this forum and I posted the specs once before. 32" rings a bell. We did a large job last summer that we built ramps over the steps for the machine to go up and down(very steep). A back and time saver for sure..... Otherwise price it accordingly...jobs like that can sink you in a hurry and you'll be cursing yourself for ever taking it.