Any owners of of grasshopper 223

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by la-sd-king, Feb 11, 2009.

1. la-sd-king

la-sd-king LawnSite Member

Looking to buy one, any pros or cons to doing so thanks

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have owned several for my lawncare business, and was a dealer for several years. I really liked the 223/52 and 223/61 machines. I had one on every trailer and the crews loved them. When I was a dealer, they were our #1 selling machine in the Grasshopper midmount lineup.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I've been pretty happy with my Grasshopper. Mines a 227 61", but the 223 is the same class. (I wouldn't even TRY to run a 223 61", way underpowered).

Hopefully you can get a decent deal on one. Grasshopper is certianly proud of their machines (high price).

4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

We never felt the 223/61 was underpowered. It would be if you ran a collector with it, but we did not collect grass. I did a landfill and a water treatment plant that only got mowed every 2 weeks. Both could really get grow up in a 2 week period. Never had a bit of problems handling those conditions. In fact, for some reason, the 223 would perform better than the 227. It seemed like the 23HP engines had better torque for plowing through the tough stuff. I know the higher HP should do better, but that was not what we found.

5. Jason Rose

Very interesting... My 27 kohler is a DOG. Barely can keep the RPM's up just going up a small grade. Even cutting off a couple inches will slow the engine. Often I find myself running the sticks full out because the engine has slowed to the point that full speed is about 5mph. Governor is wide open, all it has to give.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread!

6. tlc28

tlc28 LawnSite Member

I have the 223 61" I have had good luck with it. I like it better that front mount. I think I would go with the 27 next time. JMO.

7. Jason Rose

Where's KsGrasscutter? He has one too. There's several in use around town here now. (well, not RIGHT now...) I'll point him to this thread later.

8. groundskeeperllc

groundskeeperllc LawnSite Senior Member

hey i have a 227/61" over here in Lake Charles, I would say it is underpowered in some circumstances like tall wet St. Augustine or Bahia, if you get the 223 I would make sure its a 52", I have a friend with 227/52" and he has no complaints, I talked with my dealer today and next week I'm gonna order a 329B 52", its a breast, do you have a dealer in Lafayette? i think your closest dealer is in Eunice

9. yard_dawg

yard_dawg LawnSite Member

do not have the 223,but i do have the 61' front deck 722d2 and love it. no problems at all

10. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 223/52 and at times it needs more power. I would think that those with a 223/61 may have never cut with a 223/52 if they think the 61 is not underpowered. I had a 25hp/52" toro before the grasshopper, and I can tell the difference with just the two hp.

Good luck, Tony