any pine straw tricks?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by readycutlawncare, Feb 7, 2008.

1. readycutlawncare

readycutlawncare LawnSite Member

okay I had spread over 1,000 bales of pine straw last season. the properties have looked good when i was done but i feel it could be better. i always notice some other crews jobs and they look way better. i think they are rolling the pine straw. can anyone explain to me how to do this or even give me some of your own tips.

2. Buddy Buds

Buddy Buds LawnSite Member

The best way I've done is to put the straw about 5"-6" onto the grass and then blow it with your blower back onto the bed. It gives it a roll look.

3. Penscape Landscaping

Penscape Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah put it 5 to 6 inches in the turf and take your blower right up next to the edge of the needles anwave it front to back beside it. It fluffs the edge rolls it under and looks very clean!!!

4. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen pinestraw that has been rolled along the edges and that is exactly what has been done. The spread the pinestraw really thick around that edges and roll it up to look like a tube. That is done so pinestraw doesn't come out into the lawn.
    I myself dont like that look on residential but its ok for commercial. For all my accounts I just charge the client to trench out the flower bed and so the pinestraw falls into the trench and makes a beautiful natural edge and also gives that distinct separation between the bed and the lawn.

5. Penscape Landscaping

Penscape Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with you cutting edge! looks so much better on residential to v edge!

6. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

The guys at Atl. Pine Straw use flat shovels to tuck the P.S. in, I use my blower. to each their own.

7. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

You do both.
    You tuck the pinestraw in the the trench with the flat head shovel then you blow the remaining straw into the bed with the blower.

8. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I have never been a fan of the mole hill tunnel look some people put on their pinestraw. It looks like a tube is laying at the edge of the bed and you covered it with straw- some people love it but like I said it looks like a mole hill tunnel. We lay the straw about 5-6" outside of the bed and take a flat spade and rake the straw back to the bed and chop it into the bed. This gives it a nice clean edge. It takes a little longer but it puts a finished look on the job. We also do this around the concrete so it is not messy looking. We then take a blower on blow the excess back into the beds with the blower on idle.