Any point in having a Fax machine?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bill8379, Jan 16, 2008.

1. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I re-inventing my co. and I've never had one in 8 years but every once in a while someone mentions it. I bought a scanner that I never use, and of course I have a printers..

2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

If youre just doing residential work, its a convenience for dealing with business matters.

If youre going into the commercial business its practically a must

3. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

Are you serious? How could you not have one?

4. bill8379

I've always been almost exclusively residential but that could change.. not sure what you would even use the things for. To me it seems like a precursor to email or something.

edit: I have about two weeks to finalize my yellow page and new phone number as well as domain name. The lady from the phone co. asked me if she could fax a form to me. Don't have a fax so she emailed it but it did get me thinking.

5. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

Get one, It is so much easier to fax stuff when you can.

6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I just scan & email. No paper & just as easy.

7. M&MLawn

M&MLawn LawnSite Member

I use eFax.com and its super easy and you can even receive a certain amount of faxes for free.

8. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have a Lexmark all in one printer that scans, copies and faxes. It costs about $120 and has lasted 2 years with both my wife and myself's business. I say get one, you never know when it can come in handy.

9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I don't have one and I was just thinking tonight of how much I need a fax machine. I email a lot of things, but some things just need to be faxed. For example: A property management company that I do work for just emailed me a W-9. I have to fill it out and it would be nice just to be able to fax it back right now. Sure, I could scan it and email it, but it'll look like crap when they get it.
    I vote....YES to fax machines!

10. bill8379

Good point. I have a scanner but I haven't even bothered to install it in over 3 years. That's one of the most useless pieces of equipment I've ever boughten.

Staples is selling (at least around my parts) a brother Colour 6-in-1 Printer, copier, scanner, fax, PC fax, photo capture centre... $79.96 (Save $50). I've always been leary of these super "all in one" machines but I've wanted a copier for a long time. I actually think that's why I bought that scanner, so I could copy things.