Any Power loss with the Super Z over standard Z?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Shady Brook, May 20, 2006.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am wondering if there is any power loss with the Super Z hydro system compared to the standard Z? I know when I throw the sticks forward there is some lag in power and then it spools up. On a hill it is very exagerated and may never come up. I know throwing them forward in heavy grass will drag the motor down. This is all with a 27/60. A while back I demod a 23/60 regular Z, and it seemed to have the same power and grass cutting capabilty as did the larger engined Super Z. Is there anything to what I am experiencing, or is it simply the initial demand of the hydro system to get up to speed?

Also, how would a 23/60 Standard Z do with the tripple bagger? Will it have enough power to do the job, or will the spindle drivin unit slow the beast down to much or shorten the life of the motor?

Thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The "lag" you are feeling is due to the greater demand of power the larger pumps on the Super Z require.
    I wouldnt hesitate to run the 23/60 with a catcher, if your ground speed is relevant to the grass height and conditions, it will work fine.

Pj

3. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I run a Super Z 60 inch 24hp Honda w/ a spindle driven catcher. Plenty of power, honestly, I feel the giant HP's are not necessary.

4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I appreciate the input, and welcome others thoughts.

So PJ, would the pumps require more power to keep up with their demand even in normal driving conditions? I am not sure I am explaining this well, but I am currious if they require more power with normal driving, not just for brute acceleration? Would the 23 kaw with 39.8 ft/lb's of torque on a standard Z perform nearly the same as a 27 hp unit with 42.7 ft/lb's considering the different pumps and wheel motors? I am not sure of the torque values, but they are close.

To me I would think they would perform nearly the same.

One more question for you PJ. Do you know the length of a 2005 Standard Z with the 23 kaw? I thought I measured one at 72". The literature on the web says 77". I wondered if the muffler situation with the respective motors made a difference in their overall length.

Thanks so much.
    Jay

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

The 23 HP is not enough for a 60" with a collection unit. I had one..for a short while. The 25 HP has just about enough power on flat ground but struggles on a grade with the catcher.

6. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

I run a 23hp/60" Z and I wouldn't think twice about a catcher on it, however, seems to me a 27hp would do it better. Maybe you need a tune up? Might be running rich and not making good power.

gpshemi

7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Of course larger pumps require more HP, this is one of the reasons we offer more HP on the Super Z's.
    If you wold be able to tell any difference, I don't think so, the amount the larger pumps use in regards to the smaller pumps is minimal.
    77" would be correct, at one time it was 75", I will have to see why we gained another 2"...lol...lol... I don't think the mufflers make the difference, the measurement would be to the back bumper.

Pj

8. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

My previous Super Z was a 27hp 52" deck and I did notice the condition you experienced going up hills. My new Super Z is the 28hp EFI with a bigger 60" deck and this engine makes all the difference in the world. Not only is there no bogging but my gas mileage seems to have almost doubled ( I need to check this scientifically to be sure). If you can afford a little extra get the 28EFI, in my mind it has more guts than the 30hp I recently tested.