any problems billing in the month of july?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 31, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i'm having an unusually high amount of people sending back less than the full amount billed. there are 5 weeks in july, i'm billing my per cut customers for 5 weeks, and quite a few are sending back only the fee for 4 cuts. anyone else?
  2. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

I just have a few that I bill monthly, the rest pay as I cut. No problems so far. Do you itemize your bill for them, showing the date you were there? If you do, they shouldn't have a problem paying you.
  3. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I have had this with a few. One invoice came back with a note..."Don't cut my yard 5 X per month"... What am I supposed to do, just skip a random week if there happens to be 5 Tuesdays in a particular month??? Then I would here "Why did you not get to my lawn this week?" Customers.....gotta love 'em!
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I have had an unusually high number of late payers in June and July. I have been pretty lax on my late fees because people are usually on time, but I've had nearly 50% of my customers behind lately. Not sure why, but I am cracking down asap.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I always have more late payers from June - August. I suspect its because they go on vacation and "forget" my bill. I'll bet they don't "forget" the mortgage payment.

As for the 5 vs 4 week thing, I've run into that occasionally. But its never been a real problem.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

It's pretty simple them a calendar and have them see that depending on what day of the week you mow, you will be there 5 times either in the month of May, June, or July.

They know what's going on...especially if they work for someone else. One last thing is we had very few lawns that were skipped in July for us in NJ with all the rain we had. Many people think once the summer rolls around bi-weekly mowing is the norm (not this year though).
  7. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Maybe all the homes you go over with your blades disengaged, in order to scam the customer, are finally wising up to you.
  8. bobbygedd

from NJ

ken, you are "baiting" me. sean, sean, chuck, he's breaking the rules. actually genious, since i have no guards on my machines, they could easily tell if the blades were disengaged. so, the procedure is as follows: remove blades, engage blades at customers house, they see the spindles turning, and they can't tell there are no blades. do this, apply cat litter(call it merit) collect $100, and off you go
  9. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

bobby bobby bobby,,,,,i thought that you had this whole billing/get paid deal figured out with your slide rule of success?
  10. bobbygedd

from NJ

sh!t happens norm. every road has bumps