Any Professional Mole Trappers out there??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Quail Creek LC, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

Just checking to see who else offers mole trapping as part of thier service. I just added it to my service the last years and found out that its a good way to make a couple of easy $$. I'm actually thinking about hitting the street hard and picking up some more customers. sure beats do landscaping and odd jobs. It makes a good time filler and keeps alot of my customers real happy. Anyone elso do the same??

2. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

you should raise them in a cage then let them go. you could make some good money i bet.

3. TNWS

TNWS LawnSite Member
    from IL

What are you charging for you mole service ? :)

TNWS

4. Quail Creek LC

from IOWA

I charge a $50.00 start up fee plus $25.00 for each mole. There is a guy in my area that gets $125 for start up and $30 for each mole. Yesterday I signed up a guy and caught 1 mole within 12 hrs. $75.00 for 10 minutes worth of time. Just wish they were always all that easy. I do waive the $50 start fee for my regular mowing customers. Once you get a customer hooked on your service, you know there will always be more moles.

5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Quail Creek,

What do you use to trap/kill the moles? I just got some info from my ProSource One rep on a lethal bait worm called Tapirid, might give that a try on some of my customers. What part of Iowa are you from anyway? Crawfordsville here.

-Geoff

6. Quail Creek LC

from IOWA

Tapirid is pretty expensive and is not a guarantee that you will rid your moles. Customers want hard evidence of the problem being gone, not just a "we'll we will see what happens". I use traps to kill them. Another plus is that I will normally hit them up with a grub control program that will help them control the mole food source. I dont guarantee them that it will cure all mole problems, but it does help. I'm from CR.

7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it is, I have enough customers that want to get rid of moles to pay for a case, but looking at my cut after paying for it I'm not sold yet. I also put down a grub control (Merit) kind of pricey as well.

Hows the lawns up there? pretty dry on most of mine, we need some more of the wet stuff.

-Geoff

8. Quail Creek LC

from IOWA

Good luck on the Taparid. I like the trapping method myself. Its a challange at time, yet rewarding. To me its fun and I'm making money doing it. Our lawns are in good shape yet, but if we dont get some good moisture in the next couple of day with this heat, things are not going to be looking so good. I had a few that got burned last week before we got the rain from last weekend. I keep watching the radar tonight and everything keeps breaking up before it get here.

9. TNWS

TNWS LawnSite Member
    from IL

What kind of traps are you using ?? Fifty dollars start up fee, what if you have to go back in 3 or 4 weeks do you charge another setup fee??

TNWS

10. Quail Creek LC

from IOWA

My start up fee is good for 1 year and then its another $50.00. Once I believe that the problem moles are gone it is then up to the customer to call me if more move in. I use some pinching traps that Victor makes. They take some time to get used to but when they get the mole it don't let go. With the stabbing type they will sometimes get away and you dont have the evidence to show the customer. Some want to see them and other could care less. I'll try and post a pic of them sometime.