1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

any professionals out there

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by terrapro, Sep 21, 2006.

1. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

i do everything but mow so my customers find their own lawn care. this year in all of my yards the lawn crews either cut down the customers $1000's of dollars worth of annuals or theve been blowing all of their leaves or clippings into the beds killing all annuals/perrenials/shrubs because it will sufocate the plant.

are there any lawn guys out there conscience of what they are doing that negatively effects the overall apperance of the landscape. dont tell me its harder than it looks because i did lawn care at one point in time so i know it can be done.
  2. jpa375

jpa375 LawnSite Member

Once you graduate from high school you will learn everything just doesn't go your way all the time. Good luck.
  3. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I totally agree terrapro. I used to do LC and Landscaping about 75/25. I rencently went back to my old town for a visit and checked out a couple of my old properties. One in particular stands out. We planted if I remember right, 50 dogwoods for a lady in her side lot, talk about pretty. When she first wanted to do it I thought it was crazy but for about a month out of the year her side lot looked like a awsome and they were all still small. I went to the site because it had been about 4 years since I planted them and figured they would have grown quite a bit. Out of the roughly 50 we planted there were only about 5 still alive. I got out and checked a couple of the dead ones, sure enough the botton 3 inches had been beated to death with trimmer line and there was no bark left on them. The kicker is they were all mulched so you didn't even need to come close to them to trim. I would have to look but I think I charged her like $100 per tree installed.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

there are bad ones in every profession. Then again, there is profession, then there is non-profession. Doing something for money does not necessarily make the a professional. Anyway, where abouts are you in Michigan?
  5. terrapro

?!? im 24 ive been doing this for 7 years :hammerhead:
  6. terrapro

im in livinston county
  7. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Others would blame the guy who installed the dogwoods. Why didn't you create a bed around them to prevent trimmer blight from happening?

The truth of the matter is, at least in my area, most of the workers on lawn crews are employees, not owners. With employees, you are going to have churn. Eventually, there will be a guy out there with little experience. It is just the nature of the industry and for a professional charging $100 a plant, it should be foreseeable.

You want to blame the trimmer blight on the lawn crew but there are mowing companies that would blame the landcape designer for not creating beds around the dogwoods to protect them from this.

DFW Area Landscaper
  8. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

He said they were all mulched, so you did not even have to get close to them to trip. I am pretty sure this means that he did create beds around them to prevent this damamge. What else can one do....
  9. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Throwing mulch around the base of a shrub versus creating a bed, with stone, steel or plastic edging are two different things, entirely. Yes, when the mulch is fresh and there is nothing growing there, the lawn company wouldn't need to pass the line trimmer around the base of the shrub.

The problem is mulch decomposes and becomes soil. Mulch doesn't prevent the grass and weeds from ever growing there. A steel, stone or plastic edging material indicates a line or barrier where lawn is expected to end and the bed begins. These materials don't decompose.

Personally, I don't think the lawn mowing company is to blame here. Remember, you are running a line trimmer at a gazillion RPM's. If you are expecting the lawn mowing company to trim the weeds and grass at the base of the shrub, but never make contact with the shrub, you are expecting too much, in my opinion. As I stated before, eventually the lawn mowing company is going to have an inexperienced guy running the line trimmer.

Oh, and if the lawn mowing company leaves the weeds at the base of the shrub and doesn't pass the line trimmer there, I guarantee that home owner will be complaining about shoddy workmanship.

DFW Area Landscaper
  10. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Has happened to me before when a customer does a shotty job of installing their own plants and then is crabby when I dont weedeat and tear up the bottom of their plant.