any REALLY BIG companies out there? i need some helpful advice for my FUTURE (17yrsol

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

Ok i'm 17 years old, and i've been int he buiz for almost 6 years now, the past few years have been my largest years due to my aquiring a drivers licence...right now my buiz includes 60 customers a 48' Scag and 36' Scag Shindaiwa blowers and trimmers 6x10 trailers RACKS and all, anyway...basically i'm trying to point out i've kinda have a head start on life, next year my plans as of now are to go to a community college and get my english and math and certain other subjecst ouf of the way, and attempt to keep mowing grass in the process, that will last for 2 years, then i plan on saling the company and going to MSU to take the landscape architecture and contracting course...once out of this i HOPE to start a large scale landscaping and landscape mngt company. i've been looking very seroiusly at the Atlanta area and i want to get to the point of having several crews doing strictly comercial maintence, mowing and beds and all, and then also do residential installations...i guess i need some helpful advice after knowing all this, i mean what do you guys think? ALSO i've been investing ALOT so i can have some money when i get out of college to start this company i'm wanting to start, but maybee some of you guys have some thoughts or maybee aspects i haven't even concidered that might hinder my plans...EVENTUALLY i want to be at the point of not mowing grass at all, infact that's a BIG plan of mine, i want to be the head guy and have crews running all the stuff...thanks alot for reading all this, advice needed

2. Let's see how long it takes for JA to respond?

3. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Jeff,
    I admire your ambition and wish you a lot of luck. I don't have any advise at the moment, but I'll stay in touch.

4. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

you have a great idea about going to state.i've had some time to sit in on some seminars there.dr. vargus is a great guy.he usually gives a profile once a year.currently i'm putting a fiance through arizona state so i can't afford it.some here will agree with me and some will tear me up but in this biz you need to hustle.not scam but hustle.people will always pay more for a lco with agronomic knowledge.i've had a few customers take lco's to court to break 2 year deals so i could service them.knowledge and understanding customer needs will always make you money.as i watch the news i see our economy going downhill.am i worried "yes" will my buisness suffer "no" i built it i will maintain it...we might take smaller cheaper jobs but i'll HUSTLE.do you see what i'm saying?
    go state!!!!!!!!
    CVN-73 U.S.S GEORGE WASHINGTON

5. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeffrey, I wish I had your ambition when I was 17. I think you have a tremendous plan. I'm a firm believer that you can really get as big (in just about anything) as you want, if you're willing to put in the necessary work to build it. Getting a degree in a landscape architecture and contracting is a great start, as is investing towards the business now. I would say good luck to you, but I don't think you need it!

6. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Jeff,

You sound like a young man whose got his head together, and I want to commend you on that. After high school I bummed around a lot, did the party scene, got in trouble, and basically sacrficed about 5 years of my life. I was 23 before the damage of my youth was cast away. I took over the business I have now at 26 and bought my home at 29. I'm 33 now, and when I think of how great things would be if I used those 5 years wisely, or if I were 5 years ahead of my life's plan...

But enough about me. You're doing the good thing, planning ahead and making sure life's road is a little less rocky after school. You stand to do well. One thing you should remember, though, and I think this is important: plan to study business at least as much as you study landscaping. For all the knowledge of the Green Industry you need knowledge of handling the green. Remember that studying landscaping will make you a good employee someday for a Green Industry company, but studying business will make you a good company owner.

That's it. In my eyes, you're doing just fine...

-TGC

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Your on a good track ...... at your youth n with past experience you have nothing but forward to look to

Take it slow .......grow slowly .....take some business classes at local college

Running things from the driver seat takes lots of patience's, organization, ability to understand critical comments & situations

Look at things from different perspectives .....develop good communication skills, have an ability to adapt to change, recognize any set back has an opportunity to move forward

Develop a business plan ....create a "culture" with in your business ....so those whom work for you adapt to it.....understand how n why things are done a certain way ...... this way you can depend on what you delegate is being perform just as you would do it or wish it done

Simple plan of attack==> "do what you say n when you say it n how you say you will do it"
    Good Luck ;->

8. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

I too am 17 and mow several yards. I dont mow 60 yards and I dont have two scags, but i do have a cub cadet 54" zt and a gravely 30" wb. I am also looking into the business and starting to lean to the landscaping side. For now I think i'm just gonna stay with mowin my 20 yards with one of my friends, and keep rakin in the dough.:blob2:

9. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

hey wow u have the same thinking as me i want to become one of the largest companies in my area and i am working on it now. i am 15 without a truck or liscense so that puts a burden on my biz as well as living in the city where you are lucky to find an acre yard. i have 17 that i mow and 1 is about an acre of grass and tress(big fal cleanups here tho) i got a new 36 toro new 48 lesco, sihl and echo 2 cycle, trailers and soon tis weekend a 52 scag ztr with the spindle vac. i am trying to invest as much as i can now and geting all the information i need to become succesful its great to see other landscaping teens with big dreams like mine.