1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any reason not to buy a tri axle?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mrusk, Aug 26, 2008.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Since I bought the 150 I have been slowly looking for a dump truck. I found a good deal on a 2000 Western Star tri axle. The guy I bought the excavator is telling me I am better off with a tandem. He said if I was just trucking a tri would be fine.

This make any sense?
  2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

depends on what your using it for. The plus with the triaxle you can work for a broker hauling if you or your driver is slow.
  3. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I cant think of the last time ive seen a tandem. Everything is triaxle around here.
  4. mrusk

Where I like it seems like most trucking companies run tri axles while the excavation/sitework companies run tandems. They say tandems are easy to move around with on site.
  5. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

I would have to agree with you, out here the tri is getting phased out and people are going with quads. The only way I could see a tandem is if it was super lightweight so you could haul alot. Just remember that you aren't going to make your fortune with the truck and you will be fine.
  6. mrusk

In jersey we can run 80k gross with tris and 70k with tandems.
  7. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Tight, tight turns are a bad reason to go tri-axle, I have seen long tandems turn inside tri-axle's circles, they are just terrible.
  8. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Here tandems are 54,000 typically, tri can go to 62,000 or 64,000(can't rember exact) and quads go to 73,000, semi's are 80,000. How big is the dump box usually out there?
  9. mrusk

18 foot boxes on tris.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

BUT only u can know what u r making.
    i would go tri as u can haul more and its all about what u can carry.