Any reason to keep the dump trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Mar 1, 2012.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

I want to get a 3500 and a 7500 size dump this yr. I cant think of any reason to keep the trailer. Im trying to remember the jobs that Ive done with the trailer, to picture being without it, and having trucks only. If Im forgetting some of the benefits of the trailer I would be interested to hear them. Im really looking forward to not having to maneuver the damned thing!

2. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

Nope, No reason at all. Sell it quick. And cheap. I'll give you directions right now on where to take it.

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

ya, lol. I was going to PM you if I decided not to keep it, but what do you need 2 for anyway?

4. OhioMowerGuy

OhioMowerGuy LawnSite Senior Member

Keep it instead of getting the 1 ton dump maybe? Insurance and tags are way cheaper on it compared to a 1 ton dump. You can legally haul more in a dump trailer than a 1 ton dump. Im kinda in the same situation as you, someday ill need a big single axle dump but will also need something smaller to work out of like a 1 ton or a dump trailer. Right now I have a 1 ton chevy dump. The only reasons id say have 2 dump trucks is if you had to plow/salt with the 1 ton and if you had a couple crews and need the extra truck. Just some ideas...

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

I do need the 1 ton. I cant tow and plow with the trailer and the pickup needs a backup, plus its way overtaxed with the mini behind

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

rent it out as a dumpster

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

from NY

Not sure but I think you would need to rent several dumpsters often to pay for the dumping permit, otherwise pay residential rate and not be able to make anything.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Personally I would Keep it. With a 1 ton dump and dump trailer, you'll be able to move lots of material with it if you get in that situation.

That and if you expand and have a 3/4 ton truck, then it could be versatile for the smaller work you need a dump for.

I'm looking at a possible dump to pull behind my C3500HD later this season for large mulch jobs. Much easier to scoop off a dump rather than off the ground.

9. robtown

robtown LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I would keep it.
    great to stage material in.
    you cant leave material in the street over night here but you can have it in a trailer.
    if you need the larger truck to pick up other things you can leave the trailer and have the crew fill it.
    its just nice as a back up.
    ...and if decide to get rid of it cheap NY is not that far.

10. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Going with the flow. Keep it and then reaccess after you get your trucks that you need if you should sell it or not.