Any recommendations for ramps to load mower in van?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, Feb 15, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of ramp would you guys recommend to use to load a Lazer HP 44" into a van (regular extended van, not cube van)? Any thoughts on this?

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

Will it fit though the door with a driver on it? but i would
    look at an allum... portable just slide it under the mower when done.
  3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Trust me and invest $500 into a trailer. I got my 6x12 for that much, you can find something out there. You dont want to have that in your van, regardless if it fits.
  4. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Some REAL personal safety issues here. Your ramp may be the most important piece of equipment you have. If one side gives out it can happen in a second, and that's alot of steel coming down on you. You'd be lucky to walk away from it. Unless the ramp is secured to the vehicle you have this risk. Sometimes the momentum of the machine or a slight change in speed can cause the ramp to bounce and bingo, its loose. I would look into having a welder fabricate one for you that can be secured by bolts so there is no chance of this happening. Also Nothern Equip. (catalogue) has alot of foldable aluminum ramps you could bolt to the floor and fold out maybe.
  5. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

VLM is right - Northern Tool has a pretty good selection of ramps and at good prices too.
  6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Esby might have a good point. A good and safe set of ramps and a little fabrication may end up equaling the cost of a trailer. Shop around and see what's out there Vibe.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Don't even do it.
  8. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

Randy, You'd be better off with a trailer. the streets in and around Slidell will easily handle a trailer. I'm just getting over having a broken foot for 4 months. It sucked!!!!
  9. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, a few hundred spent on ramps, would be best used towards a small trailer with a ramp gate.

If not, and still set on ramps, I have a set of ramps that are made using a kit from Ramparts. They are aluminum pieces that fit on the tops and rubber pieces for the bottom that fit onto 2x12's. They come with a pin that you use to secure them to the loading vehicle so they will not slip off.

Mine are 7',6" long and I use to use them to load up a 1,000 lb garden tractor into a small trailer. I still use them to load up equipment into back of truck. They work really nice. Just be sure to get good 2x12 lumber!
  10. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

i got one of the alm.walk boards from a drywall finisher that they use for scaffeling.they are two pieces ,i just took one apart to get 2 ramps i use them alot they are longer than the ones you buy and stronger ,i used them once to load a chevelle on a car trailer they work great .people are using these to load there atvs in trucks also.