Any reviews on Encore mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Time 2 Mow, Apr 15, 2001.

1. Time 2 Mow

Time 2 Mow Guest

Went to my local dealer today and they are now selling Encore power equipment.

Do you guys have any reviews on the company and or products? Looking for a 52" hydro unit. Or, a ZTR unit.

Thanks

2. I deleted your original post. You can't say this unless you back it up with facts and have owned one. Please RE-Read the Posting Guidelines

[Edited by Eric ELM on 04-15-2001 at 09:08 PM]

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

but did somebody say they were similar to grass hopper
    or made by the same people or somethin like that.
    anyway the grasshopper looks pretty good .

4. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I do not know about the "Z" models but if you are looking on a good deal for a belt drive walk behind the are decent...if i were in the market for a ridder i think i would stick with the names that have been out there for a while

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

6. Time 2 Mow

Time 2 Mow Guest

lawnboy82:

Can you back that up with any kind of facts? Have you operated or owned this equipment? Have you been in charge of servicing it?

7. BobbyBcuttin

BobbyBcuttin LawnSite Member

My dealer sells encore he also sells grasshopper,walker derbys,he told me to stay away from them.i demo'd the 52z there was two things that i really did not like it seemed very unstable on even the smallest incline and it would make windrows when only cutting a couple inches of grass hate to see what it would do in realy tall grass that's my 2 cent's Bobby

8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Our company runs many Walker Mowers and Toros and we demoed a 2001 Encore Prowler 61" 22hp liquid cooled Kawi,last week along with a Scag Turf Tiger, Exmark Lazer, Toro Z and Great dane all were decent machines and almost identical in many ways but 1! They all were almost $10,000.00 The Encore was $6,600.00 so for saving almost or more then $3,000.00 it seems like a GOOD deal we put 2.5 hrs on it and it mowed good the craftsmanship was well made the motor was a 22hp Kawi liquid cooled along with full floatin deck and more, We are looking into this machine to do WET cutting this season for we think Walker suites our location as the best mower but does have wet mowing capabilities even though we have numerous side discharge decks and deck replacement is under 2 minutes we find this mower to be very useful to our business and between our Walkers, Toro's and this Prowler we should have all our bases covered. So yes Encore is a very good mower that does not have the recognition it deserves!!!!! Unless you have demod one for more then 1hr its only HERE-SAY and OPINIONS!!!!

9. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

If you read the other posts Eric put up for you, you will see that many here have nothing good to say about Encore machines. I'm not sure how much of it is based on experience with the mowers and how much is repeating what someone else said, but I have a 36" b/d w/b. It was the main unit on my truck for 3 years. It makes a very nice cut, bags well, and will cut taller grass in one pass that my other mowers will not. My only complaint is with the design of the spindles, which my dealer tells me have changed. IMO, mine has been a good machine.

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Look at those threads. I'll bet you will find my comments there. FORGET THE ENCORE! I can back it up with facts too. I own a 48" hydro. Its great for a bushhog, but cutting wise it sucks. The blades are too slow and the spindle bearings wear out real fast. Last year alone I put 2 sets in each spindle and it needs new ones now. The design is terrible and you can grease them 2x a day with no luck. I don't us it for anything but cutting junk or chopping leaves. The opc switches are made real cheap and constantly break. I finally ended up wiring in a toggle switch instead. The mower has been retired to backup work and junk and its less than 2 yrs old.