Any Secrets To Keep Grass From Sticking ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TJS, Jul 8, 2005.

1. TJS

TJS LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Well I did it. I bought the Ferris 1500Z I was asking about. Sure is a pretty thing with those chrome springs up front. Does any one have any suggestions for keeping the grass from sticking on the bottom of the deck ?
    Thanks, TJS
  2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

spray WD-40 on the bottom of the deck. the grass comes off a lot easier that way.
  3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I have heard that if you start with a perfectly clean deck, and you use a product called "Mo-Deck" it will help grass from sticking....except when it's wet.

I don't think there is any real way to not have grass stick other than never mowing really wet grass and even then, some will stick eventually.

I have pretty much resigned myself to scraping the deck every week along with the weekly blade change (swap). Then I use either a liquid wrench type spray or some used motor oil and coat whatever I can. Seems to be working so far.

The farther on into the season you get, the less grass will stick (becomes drier)

Congrats on the new ferris...let us know how you like it! :cool2:
  4. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

This is not something I have tried, but I am planning on trying it, I think it will work well. I plan to clean the underside of the deck very well, and apply a few coats of silicone spray. It keeps other stuff from sticking, why not grass? It is not water soluble as far as I know, so it should last a while. I'll let everyone know how it works, although nothing much is sticking now anyway, the grass is too dry. No complaints here, I hate scraping decks!
  5. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mo- Deck does help especially on a nice clean deck.I have an older deck that i need to reapply often to have any results , but my newer mowers it really helps.
  6. TJS

TJS LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the advice. The deck is shiney new. I plan on cutting the grass tonight. But I will spray the under side of the deck with silicone before I start. The yard is very dry, so it might be a good test, but I hate scraping too. Thanks, TJS
  7. tnpete

tnpete LawnSite Member
    from West Tn

I always use liquid graphite. Spray the deck down with it and let it dry. And it last about all season. :)
    And what grass does stick will fall right off.
  8. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

9. grassmeister

grassmeister LawnSite Member

I have a 1500z also. It doesn't clump at all when dry, but when it's wet, the deck clogs pretty badly. I'm not talking after a rain, but just morning dew. After mowing just my own lawn, I already need to scrape. I sprayed the bottom with Pam like some suggested, but it still builds up. I wonder if all decks experience the same problem. Mowing in the morning when it's still somewhat wet is unavoidable, but I doubt it's common to scrape after just a lawn or two.
  10. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I just never scrape my decks. That stuff will come out eventually and I think just about any mower will "clump" if the grass is wet.

Why would you be worried about grass sticking on the under side of the deck? It's a lawnmower - you're gonna get grass stuck on it if you use it.