Any Shindawa 242 owners out there???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IHusky, Aug 11, 2007.

1. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

Picked one up today for $300. Think it might be a little underpowered. Will give it some more use before make judgment. Was very light and balanced though. Would not use for heavy stuff, but I know that its not a heavy trimmer. Would like to hear from others. I was using the very crappy line that comes with it. Will load some 095 gator line and give it some more use. Would like to hear from other 242 owners. Also would like to hear about the Shindawa 260. Thank you.

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Was that $300 with tax?

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i agree that blue line that shin has is crap-who would ever buy that stuff?

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

My next door neighbor at the contractors yard I'm at bought one fo the 242's this spring. He says they don't have as much power for the thicker stuff as do the 260's but he likes it. He says it works great through the day to day operations where the extra engine and weight is not needed.

5. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

How does the 242 compare to the T230 it replaced?

6. IHusky

Tried it, but will most likely keep it off the truck, well balanced and nice, but again not enough power. Would be nice for those well manicured lawns that are maintained on a weekly basis or a homeowner, but will not be on my truck. The 242 also burned my arm because the metal at the base, where the engine meets the shaft got very hot, not a big deal for someone that wears long sleeve shirts, but I wear short sleeve. The dealer said that it was commerical unit and was replacing the 261(does anyone know if this is correct, the shindawa website still shows the 260 and 261). My Kaw KGT and Husky out performend by leaps and bounds and they are less in weight. Would not buy again. :nono: I still think that Shindawa make a good product though.

7. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked at em,and just about jumped and bought 1 but the redmax's are going strong light with plenty of power for the crappy crabgrass we cut.

8. IHusky

I think that I will ask the dealer to credit the $300 minus a restock fee twards a Redmax, he says that he cant get any 260 or 261.

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Hmm.. we are a Shin dealer, but based on what you are saying about this dealer, maybe you should switch brands if the only Shindaiwa dealer around is this guy. I've got 2 261s that won't move, but we are too far from you. But your dealer should not have any problem contacting the distributor and getting them to pull one from another dealer for you. PM me and I'll give you the # for the distributor.
    The 242 is not replacing the 260/261. The 242 replaces the 230/231. There WILL be another engine based on the 242 design that will be slightly larger to replace the 260/261 and the 270/272 though.

10. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Remember the old shin 25's in the mid 90's, we are still running one today tough as hell man and still a lot of get up and go.