1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any small trucks, need 2 cents!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by proenterprises, Apr 19, 2003.

1. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I know a couple of you guys run small trucks. ie; s10, 150, tacoma.....

I am not sure what to get, I want to be sensible but not undershoot. I am thinking about starting with maybe a 6x12 open trailer. I will need to carry a z and a wb. Trimmers on the rack, blowers in the trucks bed along with tools. Is a 150, (v8) enough to do this. I think I have seen some with a setup similar.

Please advise, I dont want to look like the dumbass in that earlier post with the enclosed and the front tires in the air!

Thanks fellas, :D
  2. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

I have been running a 96 S10 /w 4.3 liter V6 auto for 2 years now with the same set up you are describing. I change oil at 3000 Miles and have trans serviced every year. When I am pulling a load I use Drive instead of Overdrive. No problems with motor or trans. Just my experience.
  3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Figure out the weight you want to tow, and check the "official" weight ratings of the vehicles. You shouldn't have any problem at all with an F-150, might be getting close to weight capacity of a small truck, but I still wouldn't think you'd have any problems.

I have towed a 16' trailer with three wbs on it using a '93 Ranger V6, but I wouldn't recommend that on a regular basis.
  4. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention that I have an Aux Transmission oil cooler, that has been on the truck since new.
  5. fox

fox LawnSite Member
    from MN

assuming your not removing snow. small trucks are a good option, buy Toyota if you can. dependability is the most important thing.
  6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i will be plowing snow, not removing it
  7. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

heres one of my f250 LD 4.6 hauls fine plows good.i tow a skid steer with it

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Thats really a F200, a cross breed between a 150 and a 250. It had a short, 2 year production I beleive if I'm not mistaken and really it is just a F150 with the axles from an F250 to make it look beefier, but same frame and body and transmission etc. as an F150 truck. Not putting it down but it's not really an F250, they just called it that (stupid marketing technique). I'm sure it's a great truck, because it's "Built Ford Tough!"
  9. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

Although I would suggest staying away from mini trucks if you can a full size half ton would be plenty for what your pulling. I've always had half tons and have never had any problems. Don't forget a full size truck has a way bigger bed.
  10. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

I'm glad you asked this.I have a 1 ton dually that is killing me on gas! I saw one of our big boys in town is switching to 1/2 tons to tow the type of setup you are talking about.He told me they are doing good so I may get a 1/2 ton to use as a"chase vehicle" running a 1 ton with just 2 wb's is overkill.May get a 3/4 if price is close.