1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any solo ops here grossing $75k upto $100k in sales...?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Exact Rototilling, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

And I mean really solo. 100% solo. Doing your own paper work, banking, phone calls etc...?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

I am not yet but I will be....
  3. lumberjack1986

lumberjack1986 LawnSite Senior Member

My climber is a sub and the laborer is a sub, ~$28k to them, grossed ~$250k last year.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I do over 200 and I am 100% solo.
  5. Utah Lawn Care

Utah Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you specifically talking about lawn maintenance or including Landscaping too? Landscapers could spend 300k in product to net 25k in sales for the year. I think it should either be specified what they are doing to earn the money, or talk about net which is really what matters IMO.
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Ya, prepare for inflated remarks on this thead.....

I cannot imagine grossing over $200K just doing mowing or even doing apps, solo. There just is not enough hours in a day and that is if you work every day of the week. I am not lazy, just stating facts.
    If you landscape and do a few huge projects per season I guess I maybe could see that.

I have part time 3 month summer help only from a college guy. Anticipating gross $70-75K ish this year. Thats not bragging, its not world beating but it is what it is.
  7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I was really trying to get at numbers for a solo op who is primarily lawn maintenance with applications. Hiring out subs basically tilts the gross sales number...so yes net would in fact be a better number.

I know what others charge in my area roughly and it is a race to the bottom rung. Again their quality stinks and many clients don't seem to care except for the lowish price. I've run the numbers including snow relocation and even if everything ran perfectly and the weather cooperated....there is a glass ceiling.

Honestly I'm fairly shut off from hiring help. Many of my clients won't tolerate the grade of help most hire here locally.

No kidding on the exaggeration effect. :rolleyes:
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Cody S

Cody S LawnSite Senior Member

I'm 100% solo and did $30K in sales last year (my first year) just doing maintenance, and a few landscape jobs, working 3 days a week. I'm already at 15% of my sales from last year (made from May to December), plan to hit 75K to 100K this year.
  9. Cadzilla

It's completely possible because I do it. This year I expect to do in the neighborhood of 225. I do only lawn apps and a tree shrub spray/fert program. Aeration and seeding as well.

From a Math point of view I have about 240 days of growing season. I know you're north of me and may have a 220 day season or thereabouts.

Any production lawn or tree man should be able to do 1000 dollars a day standing on his head. So as long as you have "the sales" and the secured schedule-able work locked in...theres no reason why a solo operator can't do almost 300K solo because a thousand a day on a Z-Max is no sweat. Most days I average closer to 2K per day pro.

Thats top end. I'm starting to be satisfied about where I am at but can't say no to work just yet.

This is not bragging either. It is simply telling you guys what can be done if you are hungry, successful in your sales, efficient, organized, efficient, and again. Organized.

I came from a lengthy history of working for others and became a production machine. I come from a production driven goal oriented past.

I combined this work-production capacity/ability and combined it with my ability to organize and run a successful solo op business and it is what it is.

Because I have no employees and I constantly look to ease expenditures I have a pretty unbelievable profit margin too.

It can be done. You obviously have to have the sales and work load, and the ride on machines. I have two Z-Max's etc etc...
  10. Cadzilla

Keep at it! The first few years are fun if it goes well because you'll see the large growth rates. 100%'s etc. Then it will slow down because thats how math works. :)

It's easier to double thirty grand than it is to double 100 grand etc etc.