Any solo ops here grossing $75k upto $100k in sales...?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Exact Rototilling, Feb 13, 2014.

1. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

Does your net include taking out an owner's salary? What services exactly?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Salcido Lawn

Salcido Lawn LawnSite Member

Yes, that includes my salary. I took $100k for salary and the business profited $100k above that. In 2014, we are projecting $1.5mil, with $250k-$300k profit. We do commercial lawn maintenance, with a few, minor landscaping projects.

3. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

What services?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Salcido Lawn

Salcido Lawn LawnSite Member

We do commercial lawn maintenance, with a few, minor landscaping projects.

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

the topic is SOLO, not 2-3 men :laugh:

Also with the fert/squirt…thats a lot of material cost…how much does the fert guy who grosses 100k actually MAKE vs the lawn guy who grosses 75k?

The lawn guys has more $$ upfront in equipment (let's say at least a stander so $8k but probably more likely a walk behind for $6000 and a rider for $1000)

But assuming the fert guy has a ride on…what do those cost? 6k…and then has 15k in fert for the season and another 5k in pesticide?

Lawn guy would have more fuel spent….

It might come out in a wash in year one…but with the cost of product, as the years went on…I think the lawn guy would actually be abel to ay himself more for less work than the fert guy.

Fert/squirt pays dividends through repetition.
    You can make way more with say 3 fert crews than 3 lawn crews.

But head to head solo? I think I'd rather mow, and maybe fert/squirt just the ones I mow.

6. tomsyardcare

tomsyardcare LawnSite Member

So do you ride both machines @ the same time Solo Man? I doubt you do 300k on your own 100% solo I highly doubt it

7. TPendagast

Male

One foot per machine :laugh:

8. TPendagast

Male

wait 240 days…. that's 8 full months?? In mass?? I cry BULL… and that's working everyday no days off, 7 days a week, start to finish…where's the office time?

someone just got caught arm chairing it.

9. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

32 weeks if we are lucky of actual growth here. That's 160 days if you only work mon-fri. And less than 200 if you work Saturdays too.

10. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Well let just say after expenses I'd be a relatively happy camper with the solo model of netting just over $50k this year after my expenses and overhead. 2014 is a transition year for and I'm finally free of the hindrance of my other business.

Even with an explosion of application/aeration accounts this year it will still be tough to do without the snow route.

If I hire a book keeper/bean counter...will I still be solo?
    :waving:
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014