Any Solutions to the Toro 21" Front Wheel Problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by xpnd, Aug 13, 2003.

1. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone come up with a solution that will (1) keep the front wheels from dropping out of adjustment, (2) keep them loose enough so a sledge is not required to adjust mowing height (3) Keep them tight enough so I don't have bungie cords putting tension on the wheel adjusters. I've tried a bunch of different fixes but they always seem to need attention after about 4 months. These machines are doing an average 110 jobs a week.

2. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

Once the bracket with the holes began to wear out, I found that I was always replacing the spring tab with the little nub on it.

The nub would wear fast and that was why they were jumping up and down.

I too need to give them a good kick to move them. I had to tighten them real tight to get them to stay put.

My experience has led me to the conclusion that I either need to live with the hard adjustment, or replace whole quadrants ($$$$)

Adam

3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

my quick fix was to buy a Honda, That was my biggest problem with the Toro.

4. randosh4

randosh4 LawnSite Member

replace the factory nut on the spindle bolts with nylock nuts solved all my problems.

5. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

There are wear plates available for the cast decks (no other company offers these) & you may need new spring arms. Contact your dealer

6. saw man

from utah

Not all of Toro mowers offer these wear plates, (which are for when you strip out the cast aluminum, where the little knob for the height adjuster fits into)
    If this is a commercial mower then you already have a metal cap that fits over the adjuster.
    Their new consumer mowers w/ cast aluminum deck do not offer that wear plate.

7. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Toro parts are expensive. Honda's are even more so. I like having a clean air filter twice a week for the cost of .50 cents of dish detergent and not $5.00 per copy.

8. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

WRONG WRONG there are wear plate kits available for ALL Toro cast deck mowers

9. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

If it is a toro with a cast aluminum deck they make a kit for it with metal which you put over your existing adjuster slots on the deck.

10. saw man

from utah

Sorry guys I called Toro on a homeowner mower 2 years ago and they stated it was not available for that mower. They toold me to put a screw threw the height adjuster or buy a new deck.

I clean the prefilter on my honda and dont spend 50 cents doing it, buy what you want i have had better luck with Honda. Everybody is different.