Lawn Care Forum banner

Any sprinkler guys? Help

6K views 26 replies 4 participants last post by  Gators10 
#1 ·
About six months ago I bought a house. The sprinkler system has been giving me some fits. The water pressure for the sprinklers seems very subpar. Below at some facts.

1. House is on well water
2. House pump and sprinkler pump both use same well (1 1/2" well)
3. Replaced sprinkler and house pump
4. Sprinkler pump now Gould 3/4hp jet pump
5. Water pressure for sprinkler didn't seem to improve
6. Rotary heads barely spray 15", pop ups 5-8'
7. 4 total zones for 1/3 acre lot
8. Approx 8 rotary and 18 pop ups

What do you think could be the problem? I was thinking it could be..

1. The well pipe not pulling enough water being 1 1/2"
2. Pipes being nasty and clogged with iron buildup
3. Too few zones and too many heads

I called out a sprinkler guy, and he said the well isnt putting out enough water to run it properly and to get a second well dug. Use the house pump for current well, and sprinklers on the new well since the "bad" well was good enough for house use.

Then I called out a well guy, and he said the well with the sprinkler pump is putting out around 12 gallons per minute and that is more than enough for a sprinkler system to run just fine. He then said call a sprinkler guy and have them give you low flow heads and it will be fine and you will save a ton of money by not having to need me dig a second well.

I didnt really like the first sprinkler guy, so called a second sprinkler company. This guy said the well isn't putting out enough water. He said he can replace all my heads and hope it fixes the problem and that would be around $500. He said I could also just get another well and be 90% sure it is fixed, and a 10% chance I still need newer heads since most are older, but working.

I was watching a DIY show last night and they were talking about some heads only needing 3/4 of a gallon per minute, are these the answer?

Any advice? Tips?

Thanks!!

See less See more
#3 ·
U need to break them up into zones, if they are all coming on at the same time. How many zones do you have and what type sprinklet heads in each zone?
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
I have 4 zones with mainly pop up heads for back two zones which cover back yard, and mainly rotary heads for two front yard zones.

I assume zone flow requirements are the gpm needed for the heads in each zone? If so, how would I get that amount? The yard is a mix of rain bird, hunter, and K rain heads.
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
I have 4 zones with mainly pop up heads for back two zones which cover back yard, and mainly rotary heads for two front yard zones.

I assume zone flow requirements are the gpm needed for the heads in each zone? If so, how would I get that amount? The yard is a mix of rain bird, hunter, and K rain heads.
Posted via Mobile Device
Either use an appropriate flow meter on your main, or collect information on the sprinkler, nozzle type, and nozzle pressure for all the sprinklers in each zone. Then use the manufactures charts to determine your approximate total flow rate for each zone. If you don't have the necessary tools for collecting nozzle pressure, then use your dynamic pressure minus an educated guess (or calculated if you have the required data) for system losses for each zone.

#6 ·
Either use an appropriate flow meter on your main, or collect information on the sprinkler, nozzle type, and nozzle pressure for all the sprinklers in each zone. Then use the manufactures charts to determine your approximate total flow rate for each zone. If you don't have the necessary tools for collecting nozzle pressure, then use your dynamic pressure minus an educated guess (or calculated if you have the required data) for system losses for each zone.
Most of the heads are old and I have no way to tell what type of heads they are other than brand. The one sprinkler guy put a pressure meter I believe it was on the pump and the reading was 25 something? Does that make sense or help at all?

#11 ·
If i'm reading correctly, you said you have 25 psi at your well? you may have to look into intalling a higher psi set of contact points on your well. i have 40 to 60 PSI points (cut on at 40 psi & off at 60 psi) on mine and it's like having city water pressure. i would also reccomment putting a pressure gauge on your well so you can monitor the pressure on it any time you need to.

i'm not a sprinkler expert, but i have maintained all our wells on our property for many years.

#16 ·
Ideally you want ~ 45 PSI at your typical rotor nozzle and ~ 30 PSI at your typical spray nozzle. In terms of the pressure reading, what was running (in terms of water usage) when the pump was running? Have you audited your irrigation water usage? Collect information on each zone for sprinkler type and nozzle type, then look up the water usage in the charts for the recommended operating pressure on each nozzle. If any zone exceeds 8-10 GPM then that is your first problem, assuming the well is actually putting out 12 GPM.

#17 ·
Ideally you want ~ 45 PSI at your typical rotor nozzle and ~ 30 PSI at your typical spray nozzle. In terms of the pressure reading, what was running (in terms of water usage) when the pump was running? Have you audited your irrigation water usage? Collect information on each zone for sprinkler type and nozzle type, then look up the water usage in the charts for the recommended operating pressure on each nozzle. If any zone exceeds 8-10 GPM then that is your first problem, assuming the well is actually putting out 12 GPM.
Wow ok. So is it safe to say I need another well. The neighbors have sprinkler systems and they kick butt and look like they are supposed to. Hell next door the guy has one that probably shoots 50 feet where my struggle to do 15.

The only thing running at that time was the sprinkler system. One zone with 7 rotary heads. I have never audited the water usage since all the math seems quite confusing for a normal person to do, and there are 4 different type of rotary heads across that one zone (Hunter, K rain, rain bird and orbit) and most are so old you cant see anything on them to figure out what exact type they are.

Part of me would like a second well anyway and keep using the one well we have now for the house since the pressure for that is fine. I am assuming the screen is clogged, or the well pipe has holes in it which are causing the pressure issues?

#18 · (Edited)
Wow ok. So is it safe to say I need another well.
Don't jump to conclusions

The neighbors have sprinkler systems and they kick butt and look like they are supposed to. Hell next door the guy has one that probably shoots 50 feet where my struggle to do 15.
The difference might be as simple as a properly designed system vs. yours.

The only thing running at that time was the sprinkler system. One zone with 7 rotary heads.
Then depending on the nozzles, you could be easily exceeding the wells capacity. Given the reported pressure reading, this is more likely the case than not.

I have never audited the water usage since all the math seems quite confusing for a normal person to do, and there are 4 different type of rotary heads across that one zone (Hunter, K rain, rain bird and orbit) and most are so old you cant see anything on them to figure out what exact type they are.
It's not confusing .... simple addition. The nozzles typically have a number on them.

Part of me would like a second well anyway and keep using the one well we have now for the house since the pressure for that is fine. I am assuming the screen is clogged, or the well pipe has holes in it which are causing the pressure issues?
Personally, I wouldn't do anything until I had fully audited the irrigation system. Based on what you have said so far the system sounds like it was poorly designed and is in need of a overhaul. The poor design is also quite likely the reason for the poor performance, assuming it has always performed the same.

#19 ·
Don't jump to conclusions

The difference might be as simple as a properly designed system vs. yours.

Then depending on the nozzles, you could be easily exceeding the wells capacity. Given the reported pressure reading, this is more likely the case than not.

It's not confusing .... simple addition. The nozzles typically have a number on them.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything until I had fully audited the irrigation system. Based on what you have said so far the system sounds like it was poorly designed and is in need of a overhaul. The poor design is also quite likely the reason for the poor performance, assuming it has always performed the same.
Ok well tonight I will try to get all that info together. What is the proper way to do an audit if you dont mind me asking? And let me get this straight, a system can work with low flow, but you just have to either make more zones to spread the load, or get low flow nozzles?

Also, wouldnt it be better to get a second well anyway so I could at least run the house pump and sprinkler pump at the same time for convenience?

#20 ·
Ok well tonight I will try to get all that info together. What is the proper way to do an audit if you dont mind me asking?
No offense, but this is something you should hire a qualified consultant to do. This is the minimum you would need to do.

http://www.irrigationbc.com/assets/client/File/Documents/AuditGuidelines_April2007.pdf

And let me get this straight, a system can work with low flow, but you just have to either make more zones to spread the load, or get low flow nozzles?
Yes, but simply swapping nozzles may not do it. It is possible you could replace the rotors with something more appropriate (like MPRotators), but that depends on how the system was designed and installed. You also have to consider your pumps BEP.

Also, wouldnt it be better to get a second well anyway so I could at least run the house pump and sprinkler pump at the same time for convenience?
If you have money burning a hole in your pocket then put in a second well. That however doesn't fix the problems with your irrigation system so that begs the question why. Collect the data you need to make an informed decision.

#21 ·
May look to see if your pressure tank is waterlogged, then i would start looking elsewhere. Contact your well guy and get gim to look over the system. My well is 290 feet deep 4" well and puts out 10 gpm at 60 psi. Your well depth and pump/system type determine your gpm/psi.
Posted via Mobile Device

#22 ·
May look to see if your pressure tank is waterlogged, then i would start looking elsewhere. Contact your well guy and get gim to look over the system. My well is 290 feet deep 4" well and puts out 10 gpm at 60 psi. Your well depth and pump/system type determine your gpm/psi.
Posted via Mobile Device
The pressure tank is brand new, and only on the house pump side, the sprinkler pump is separate.

The one well we have is around 100 feet which is the norm here in FL.

#23 ·
tie the sprinkler pump into the pressurized side of the system. that way it is boosting pressure instead of making it. sounds like your entire system is hooked up backwards or something.

your water should come out if the well and into a pressure tank and then out to your home. put a "t" on the home side of your pressure tank. and hook your sprinkler pump up to that. This should boost your pressure significantly., there should be nothing hooked up between the tank and your well casing except for the contact points and a gauge.

#24 ·
heres a drawing

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Magenta

#25 ·
as far as well output, some useful info would be:

well depth
well casing diameter
depth to pump
depth to water
pump type and rated GPM
110 or 220 volt
direct wire or does it have a capacitor start system
type of tank
size of piping

#26 ·
tie the sprinkler pump into the pressurized side of the system. that way it is boosting pressure instead of making it. sounds like your entire system is hooked up backwards or something.

your water should come out if the well and into a pressure tank and then out to your home. put a "t" on the home side of your pressure tank. and hook your sprinkler pump up to that. This should boost your pressure significantly., there should be nothing hooked up between the tank and your well casing except for the contact points and a gauge.
You don't need to hook it up like this, and if the demand exceeds the supply it will do essentially nothing to help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.