any success with trac vac users???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by padude2004, Sep 16, 2004.

1. padude2004

padude2004 LawnSite Member

hi folks,

im interested in a trac vac system. i have a number of large lawns where i get a bag full of grass and im too far away from the truck to dump it. im curious what type of success have you had with your trac vac and would you buy another? secondly, does it pack the grass/leaves into the barrel well or does the clippings just lie in the barrel taking up more space? i have a 52" hydro scag i am interested to put this on!!!
  2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I used to run the barrels on my Toros, and they work quite well, especially for the grass. The shaking and bouncing of the mower "shimmies" the grass, and packs it in better.

Two problems I had.

1. If the grass was wet at all, that barrel gets REAL heavy, especially if you're going to be loading it into a pickup.

2. Make sure you get the biggest engine possible for it. When we ran them, we had 5 hp Briggs on them. If it's possible get an 8 hp. I know that's what I run on my 880 trailer style Trac-Vac.

Also, if you're going to bag in the heat, be a little careful. We used to burn engines up back in the day when we'd try bagging 90 degree days with thick grass.

Now I just don't bag grass anymore.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Accelerator with the extention. The Trac-vacs other problems are you cannot go under anything or you cannot do hills.
    On a rider there not bad.

4. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Does the Accelerator get heavy enough to throw off your deck? Seems to me if the grass/leaves were a bit damp it'd be awful heavy and cause the deck to lean one way. Does that happen?

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

John, what do you have there....square tubing with a couple U-bolts to fasten it down? What do you have them filled with?
  6. John Gamba

from ct

It can BUT the trac will push the whole deck down so you scalp everything. You do have to watch how much is in there.

See if you can see a trac mounted before you buy.
  7. John Gamba

from ct

Hay walker
    Its a Jrco-bar, For the dethacher and trasporter and tub. Its empy.
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

My bad, I thought it might be there to hold down the front end. On second thought, probably dont need something with a deck that large. My 36" TTHP pops up at times and need something to weight it down. What you have there looks like something I was going to make.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have 6 of them for the WB's...I believe they are model # 470. We love them for Fall cleanups and have no problem scalping with them since the decks are set high as well. Only downfall is the dust that vents out the top and seeing around them some. But with a little time and practice, they are great to have.

BTW, never have had a problem with them on hills or under trees really...
  10. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Had a Trac Vac w/6 hp Kohler on my 52" Toro hydro - Wonderful piece of equipment for leaf cleanup EXCEPT that you were constantly walking in a cloud of dust. Had a Toro vac setup (Blue Bird) on a Z-153 and it was real nice (you were ahead of the dust cloud) but was real heavy with the 6 hp Kohler and tractor like weight bar you had to attach to the front of the mower. Have a Xmark HP with Ultra Vac now and love it. I only vacuum on request ($$$) or for fall cleanups (follow the QB1601sp) and IMHO this is the Hot Setup.