Any sugestions on what to plant here ???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gilla Gorilla, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Customer had me take out a 16 foot tall Arborvitie from the right front corner of the house and wants some suggestions on what to put in there.

I think that the Boxwoods are messing me up when it comes to figuring what to put in between them.

She does not want something that will grow above the gutters though.

So im open to any suggestions.

bennett after evergreen.jpg
  2. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

i would look at a nellie stevens holly or maybe a crape myrtle.
  3. Ken Kesey

Ken Kesey LawnSite Member
    from Here

Oak Leaf Hydrangea..

Shasta Viburnum.. or

A specimen tree like a Bloodgood Japanese maple or crepe myrtle under planted with a groundcover like pachysandra with some boulders mixed in. Throw in some bulbs while youÂ’re at it.

Or start over completely. That would be better.

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

If that was my place, I'd stick a japanese maple in there to break up the green. They don't get very large, are slow growing, and would still allow filtered light in the window.

5. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

How about some nandinas or a pieris japonica mountain fire. They both have some red in them.

Photenia? A plum tree?
  6. pilotcoplawnboy

pilotcoplawnboy LawnSite Member

Definately a crepe myrtle with bulbs below it. It will break up the wall-look that the boxwoods give to the house.
  7. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

The remaining plants have heavy visual mass. It is tough to match up to that especially at the key location at the end of the house. If those are all staying, I would agree with I-Plant regarding a large Holly because it matches in scale in all seasons.

The question left is whether the Arb was yanked because they wanted to lessen the mass. In that case the Boxwoods need to be reduced to match up with the new planting.
  8. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Weeping blue atlas cedar, weeping norway, jap. maple....

9. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

My thoughts exactly. I think a weeping serpentine blue atlas cedar would look great on the corner. It would break up all that green. Id also ad a couple accent bolders and a few perrenials in front of it. You defintly want height on that corner....something taller then the surounding shrubbery.
  10. centepede

centepede LawnSite Member

I would use a crape myrle on the corner and train some creeping fig on that wall with some ground cover pereinials! Good luck with the project:D