Any suggestion on expanding into a different market???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

I live in an area of about 100K people and this will be my first season... The area I live in is about 30 miles from the far southern Chicago burbs... Should I attempt to get into the burbs and more customers or stick with my area???? My big fear now is doing some marketing up there and ending up with 2 or 3 customers...

2. Don't know your area but I'd work close to home unless there was a good reason not to.
    Depending on where you figure the boundaries our metro area is 1.5 to 2.5 million. My market area is under 20,000 single family homes -more than enough IMO.

3. Jon99

Well I live in the outer fringe of the Chicago area, a much more rural area, so while the burbs might be 30 miles away, its only a 30 minute drive... Reason for looking that way is because of the size of the market and the going rate is higher... I am just thinking its a possibility my first season, then gradually reduce my area as I fill up my time with more local accounts... Just a thought I have..

4. If I was going to do it I would plan on spending a lot of up front time with flyer's to build a full days work. If you only get a few to start maybe plan a 1/2 day in the area. After jobs are done spend the rest of the time putting out flyer's. Thats the way I'd go at it.

5. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I had a market like you boys, but on second thought, NO I DON'T.

The town I live in is 12,000 the county is 26,000. Thats people not just houses. I do some apartments that are 50 miles away but its 3 complexes and in the $500.00 range and 3 more 20 miles away 1/2 a day and they are close to $300.00. I am charging windshield time.

I guess the point I am trying to make is you are the one who decides what is right for you.

One hour per day windshield time might equal several $$$ in the burbs. But might not too.

First year, locals know you they have seen you around.

I could drive 1/2 to 1 hour in several directions and do real good but I like local myself.

Jim

6. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I going to do the same thing. I live in "Mayberry" and there is work here but, 30 minutes down the road are 4 communities called the "piedmont", Winston-Salem, Kernersville, Greensboro and High Point. I'm going to focus on Winston-Salem because it's the closest. The higher prices I'll be able to charge will make up for any windshield time lost, imho. Plus, I'm offering turf and ornamental and there's not much of a market for that here.

7. Jon99

Tony- What kind of marketing are you using???? Any fear of ending up with just a few accounts for the first year and making that 30 mile drive and make $60????? Or is that something that if it happens, you will bite the bullet until you can add more accounts??