1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any suggestions about offering granular fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Freddy_Kruger, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I will likely put in my ads "-Fertilizer" even though I know little about it.

You walk around with a spreader, first practicing on your own lawn ofcourse.

So I would like to know if I can buy fertlizer in bulk somewhere, home depot only has, I think they were 15lbs bags of something.

I just need some advice about buying a local supplier (please don't say Lesco), types to use (I live in Central Canada), and any more info you might be able offer this as a sideline to lawn care ie. types of spreaders, amount of fertilizer, is it ok to use home depot product.

I've also read about weed apps that are granular info on that would be welcome as well.:waving: :canadaflag:
  2. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I don't know canadian law, but I would guess the Libs up there are pretty strict about the environmental impacts of inexperianced applicators, My recommendation is you really need to learn what you should know before even thinking of doing this. get some books and study, then you can go get certified before you try doing something you haven't got a clue about.
    I'm sure Kris could chime in here and tell you more about the laws in your country, but I can tell you this. If you were in this country everything you mentioned is against the law for you to do with out the proper knowledge, training, certifications, licenses and insurance.
  3. Freddy_Kruger

Nope, I just phoned the city. I don't need to be licsensed So can I get some of my questions answered?

As for training, I don't think I need to go to school to learn how to apply granualar fertilizer and as for getting books, I gave up on lawn care books when I found this forum.
  4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you serious?

So you know nothing about fert and the application of it but we're supposed to give you all the answers...

Are you serious?
  5. Freddy_Kruger

Yes I am. And if you think walking around with a spreader is Brain Surgery then you Must be Juthro Bodene.

Any helpful posters?
  6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Cities are not the ones who would have a say in this, this would probably be a issue for the environmental depts. or possibly the natural resources department. I really don't know the depts. canada has, but I really doubt that they have no regulations as far as fert and pest applications are concerned.
    sorry, I will not advise on how to do something you really show no knowledge about, If you think all fertilizing is, is just pushing a spreader, you really are clueless about any aspect of the business.
  7. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Stumper, what books do you suggest. I would like to read up on this a little and maybe get certified in the future
  8. Freddy_Kruger

How about you just don't post. For the most part granualar fert IS just pushing a spreader any Home Owener can do it. If You don't know that you don't know ****!
    Again, are there any helpful posters in the forum?

I think I should repost this in the commercial mowing section, much more helpful there.
  9. Freddy_Kruger

Now that's the kind of question Stumper would like. He can just google the answer and copy/paste the result, then he can pretend he's GenuuuINe Brain Surgeon.. I mean fertilizer scientist. lol.
  10. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Hey, easy there killer.

Canada is pushing crazy laws banning all pesticides because guys like you think you can go to home depot buy a bag of anything and just push a spreader around to make a buck.

Yes, any idiot can push a spreader. My customers hire my service because of my knowledge of how to maintain a safe and healthy lawn. And there is far more to that than "pushing a spreader around".

You can't expect to come on this site and glean information from people who have college degrees and years upon years of experience. Especially when you admit that you won't pick up a book to learn on your own because you found lawnsite

The only thing you learn from spoon feeding is the shape of the spoon. Come back when you are willling to do a little leg work on your own to learn this end of the industry.