1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any suggestions for a walk behind aerator

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by molokaiboy62, Mar 2, 2001.

1. molokaiboy62

molokaiboy62 LawnSite Member

Hi There,

I'm in college right now and am looking to purchase a couple of lawn aerators to make a little money this spring. I was just wanting to hear any "testimonials" from Lawn professionals on any suggestions you may have for a walk behind 36-40" aerator and maybe a smaller one too. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

They are man killers!!Will give you a real good work out..
  3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

4. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

The industry standard (dare I say that) is pretty much the Ryan drum type core aerator LA 4, LA 5 I believe. But there are plenty of others using the drum principle out there as well.

Some people prefer the reciprocating tine aerator which is more expensive but punches more, cleaner and larger holes. Examples are Ryan LA 28, and Jacobsen T-6030 one that I especially like but not sure its still being made.
  5. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I find that renting is the way to go. I can line several up for one day and then go to my local rental store and for 75.00 rent a quality machine all day.
  6. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto on the Classen. Hopefully I'll be getting one soon.
  7. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

Ryan is a very good machine.

If you want to do a good job get their piston driven aerator (TA 28??). We have also used the LA 4 and 5's.
    They are alright.

I would say it depends on conditions. For the first time at a job or very difficult soils, use the piston driven for good penetration.

For subsequent apps. use the less expensive LA 4/5.

Also, we RENT these machines when we do our aerating/overseeding. The piston driven is a high maintenance/high cost piece of equipment. We own some older ones, that are in horrible shape from use and lack of maintenance.

Line up your jobs and rent. It may be more profitable in the end for you.
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Try to get one with split tines. This will make it easier to turn.
  9. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Bob is right! I own a 19 inch bluebird aerator (dosnt have split tines). After a 10 hour day of using that machine my arms are numb! They are like restling a bear!
  10. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Ryan is good, but the Classen is MUCH better! Owned both, no compairson!