Any suggestions on bagging leaves and pine needles

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by NarNar, Nov 1, 2010.

1. NarNar

NarNar LawnSite Senior Member

The leaves and pine needles in my area are such a PITA! I find my guys and I taking longer removing leaves and pine needles then mowing.

Any suggestions to make life easier?

Do you guys charge more for leaf removal?

When you are doing lawn maintenance do you go into the beds and try to remove the leaves and needles?

(I had a customer, who came home, right when we are about to leave and asked if we can go into the beds. I wanted to bill her extra, but didn't want to talk numbers in front of the guys that work for me- ended up eating another 25 min)

Would love to hear back from some of you. I know you always have good suggestions. Lets refrain negative comments, I would like to keep this thread productive, thanks.

2. ohdad34

ohdad34 LawnSite Member
    from NE OH

If you're worried about employees hearing, tell them to do something, and go for a walk with your customer to discuss things. For me, it usually averages about twice the time to do leaf cleanup. In your 25 minutes, depending on what you charge, you missed out on anywhere from about $30 to $60.
    Usually how thorough your cleanup is depends on what your customer is willing to pay for. I try to get most of the leaves and such every time. For one, it helps me, it's easier than removing them at the end of the season, because they just get wetter and heavier. Therefore, its taking more time, so in the end the customer ends up paying more once than if they would've paid a little each time.

3. NarNar

I would have told them to go do something, but like I said we where on our way out, bit we were sitting in the truck. The best part was looking at the everyone's face, they were like, DAMN, we got to get out and do this- in their mind (and mine also) we were at the next property.

4. stickleylawncare

stickleylawncare LawnSite Member

If a yard has tons of pine needles, they should use that as their mulch instead of trucking in cypress mulch. Lots of people and HOAs use needles around here. Makes a great mulch and keeps the weeds to a minimum.

5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

"If you used Meg mo blades, you wouldn't need to bag anything"

6. NarNar

What is Meg mo blades?

7. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Just blow out the flower beds before you mow and then bag it all up with the mower. That's what we do and it works well for us.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. NarNar

I am running an Encore 32 Walk Behind with a bagger, I did like you said, blow out the leaves then bag it with the mower. The problem is, there are a lot of leaves and it seems the mower is not able to pick up all of it... their is a trail left behind.

Do you run into any of these issues?

9. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

You sometimes have to mow over twice. We just mow in a circle which eliminates that problem.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. NarNar

Will try mowing in a circle thanks.