Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dpullen4, Jul 16, 2005.

1. dpullen4

dpullen4 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I posted some pics a couple months ago regarding some heavily infesting landscaping that grows Canadian thistle darn near like I planted it there. Anyway, the evergreen trees are also pitiful looking. This landscaping was installed by the builder at his request because he wanted to build up the entry way to the neighborhood to potentially sell more homes. The agreement was they'd install it and maintain it until all of the homes are built.

They're not maintaining it. The trees look so bad that I would never let them take them off the truck had I been home that day. I had a 3rd party landscaper look at it earlier in the week and he said the builder did me more of a disservice than anything.

To fix it right, he'd have to replace the evergreen trees ($1500-1600) and pull out all the mulch. After all the mulch was removed, he said he'd have to literally spray the entire mound with roundup and some other weed barrier until it completely kills off all the weeds at the root, as pulling them doesn't get the root ball. Then he'd install a contractor quality fabric throughout and then put mulch or lava rock back on top and that would eliminate 99% of the weeds I get. He said it's a $3,000 job to either fix it right or remove it entirely.

Builder will have until close of business Wednesday to respond. If no commitment is made, I will file a small claims lawsuit Thursday morning. If you had a heavily infested weed area like that, does that sound like your plan of attack as well?

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Can you get a picture on here???

3. dpullen4

dpullen4 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Sure...here are some. This is before I took a mower to it, but they'll be popping up just like this soon.

DSC02093.JPG

DSC02096.JPG

DSC02094.JPG

DSC02095.JPG

4. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I would go in and take out the weed mat, but not replace it with anything else, just mulch over it and use some snapshot each spring. You will run into the same problems over and over again by installing a weed mat.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

The thistles are reseeding on top of the weed mat,your gonna need at the least 4 to 5" of twice shredded mulch to block out all possibility of light getting to the soil below.I would have him remove the trees,pull up the matt weeds and all,and re mulch.Also put in a drip irrigation system to water onlt the plants and not the weeds.If it is on spray heads now ....convert it to drip/,My question is how can it be the same price to either replace it or fix it?You have established perennials and Junipers there how can it be the same price to yank out a plant and replace it or just to leave the plant.Leaving the established plants that are OK should be alot less expensive than replacing them all.Because of the price of the new plant,the labor to remove the old one and plant the new one.Because of this I would have another landscaper do an est too.Dosent sound right what that one told you.

6. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Why not just cut and squirt with Lontrel until you win the war? Surely that would not cost $3000. Neal