any suggestions???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cobra333, Nov 24, 2006.

1. cobra333

cobra333 LawnSite Member

what do i need to start this new venture ..... i know its asking much just want some opinions .. truck trailer blowers edger back mower trimmer insurance riding mower
  2. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

what is your market, what do you want to do?
  3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Plan, plan, plan. Decide what you are wanting to do, set goals. There are people that start with a lowly 21" mower and a cheap trimmer. That is what I ended up doing in 2005 did 3 rental houses for a guy.

You might want to wait before juming into purchasing a truck blower.
  4. cobra333

cobra333 LawnSite Member

so should i start with a 21' mower a trimmer a blower and test it out how should i approach this ... i need a truck anyway so i m getting a f150 personal use and possible business use .. but what do most guys do to start off with purchasing equiptment .. help here guys thank you
  5. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i take it that if you are just starting out then you dont have any equiment? definitely get that f150 as it is a great starting point. if you do that then you can have up to probably a 48" mower but i wouldnt recommend getting a large mower yet. get by with what you have until business takes off then go out and get the toys. do good work and get your name out and the business will boom.
  6. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Dont buy any equipment you dont need.. till you need it or can get enough business to make that piece of equipment worth it

Also dont take any suggestions from people on this forum til we know what services and size properties you will be working on.. are all the houses by you fenced in? etc etc

Everyone will start giving you suggestions on equipment like they already have because they think everyone does the same thing in every region.
  7. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

JJLANDSCAPING is right,
    I would start with what you have and build your customer basis's from there, then after you know you like this line of work and only then I would buy new or used equipment.

Insurance,trucks,equipment,,, are all very expensive and with no customers to work for, this is a fast track to being out of business.

What do you have now to start with,,equipment,customers,vehicle??