1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any Suggestions

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by pilotcoplawnboy, Aug 22, 2004.

1. pilotcoplawnboy

pilotcoplawnboy LawnSite Member

This is a picture of a problem I have at my new home. I am open to any suggestion any of you may have.
    The problem is that whenever it rains the dirt in this area washes away and looks like a mini river flowing down to the road. I have thought of making it a flower bed and putting bushes there. Any ideas from you guys?
  2. pilotcoplawnboy

This time with the picture.

3. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Try a rock garden. The water will flow through but not wash away.
  4. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

Perhaps you could install some sort of drainage. Where is the water coming from? Downspout run off? General run off from the lawn? Place a catch basin at the source of the runoff will collect the excess water and then you can pipe it away towards the street or some other location.
  5. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

I agree with gvandora. Level it out, install drain, then install sod (instant grass - won't wash away).

Good luck...
  6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Erosion comes from speed and volume. Gvandora is suggesting that you look for the source to reduce volume. BCSteel is telling you to slow the water down. Both are excellent ideas.

Anything you can do to make that water lose speed is a good thing. Stone slows it by making it work (friction). Breaking the grade so that it does not keep building speed is another. A common thing you see in rural trails and logging roads are "water bars" which are timbersthat go across the trail to keep water from channeling.

If your soil percs enough to allow the efficient use of drywells for your downspouts, that is always a big reduction of consentrated water.

Reduce runoff volume.
    Reduce runoff speed.
  7. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe build a berm run a pipe through the bottem or try river rock n some plantings.

8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

AGLA- I understand the point you are trying to make with waterbars, and this may be slightly off topic, but waterbars are actually not preferred erosion control structure for the USFS.

According to the USFS trail construction and maintenance handbook (I don't remember the publication number off the top...), IIRC, waterbars are a maintenance headache; they quickly fill with sediment. As I recall, the more preferrable solution is what's called a "grade dip", where the trail makes a slight dip and channels the water off to the side of the trail.

Now, back to how this applies to this situation, the original poster could also try to swale out that part of the lawn (similiar to a grade dip, sorta...), seed heavily and lay some erosion blanket (use wood fiber blanket, not straw). Or do as was previously suggested and sod it if sod is readily available.

Just wanted to toss out a tidbit of info that was slightly off topic.:)

9. pilotcoplawnboy

Thanks guys. I let you all know what I decide to do.