1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any thing for PDA's?

Discussion in 'CLIP Software' started by Paradise Landscapes, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a PDA yet, what would you reccomend?
  2. DaveTucker

DaveTucker LawnSite Member

If you just want to use a PDA for yourself, you can pick out the one that you like the most. They are close to being equally useful, either a Palm type or a Windows CE type device.

If you plan on giving it to your foremen for use with CLIP, we would recommend the Windows CE device, but if that is the reason you want it, we would recommend that you look into our product called "CLIPConnect" that links your crews to the home base using a cell phone. It is "live" and therefore is constantly updated as opposed to a PDA that has to be "synced" once a day.

What are you planning on using this PDA for?
  3. Paradise Landscapes

I am on my own with 2 others. The PDA is for myself. Are they a wireless sevice? I was thinking about a system I can use in the field and bring back to the office and I would Type in stuff manually on my PC. (Eliminate the need for assessories) still not sure which route to go. Have a demo?
  4. DaveTucker

Yes we have a demo, if you send in your name, address, email and phone number to:

and ask for a demo, we can send it right out.

Years ago, when I first started to get into computers, the computer people always asked me, "what do you want to do with it?". I found this irritating because I wanted to buy a computer! After learning more about them, that is exactly the question to ask, "What do you want to do with your PDA?" That really will determine which one you purchase. If you simply want to take notes, just about anyone will do. If you want to take pictures with it, then we are getting a little closer to something concrete. If you want to systemitize your office and a PDA is simply an addition to it, then we can be very specific.

If you used CLIP to systemitize your office and you wanted your guys to be able to record their jobs while they are out in the field, you would want to use CLIPConnect on your NexTel phones, not a pda.

If you used CLIP to systemitize your office and you wanted a system the recorded all of the work based on the geographical location of the truck, using GPS you would want to get CLIPTrak that automatically tracks your trucks and records the start and stop time for them based the truck arriving and leaving the customer's location.

So, I guess, what I am saying is that you need to first decide what you want your company to be like and what system you will be running on, then you can decide what hardware you will need. It requires commitment but it will be much easier to grow and prosper if you decide on your total system first, then on the hardware.

Hope this helps.
  5. Paradise Landscapes

Something that I can take and put my shedule, contacts, notes, stuff like that. I understand that they can do more. What are more possiblities?
  6. DaveTucker

If that is all you are looking for, any of the PDA's will do it for you. A very inexpensive one is all you need.

Go to Best Buy and see which you like the most. All of them should link to Outlook and that will handle your personal schedule, notes and contacts.

Hope this helps.
  7. Paradise Landscapes

Do you offer any trainings for clip?
  8. dkmathias

dkmathias LawnSite Member

Yes, we do have training available. We offer a number of classes throughout the country during the year and we have certified trainers available as well.

Please call us at 800-635-8485 and ask to speak to a customer service rep, they can provide more details about training options.
  9. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I use a PalmOne (Zire31). You can schedule your customers every 1,2,3,4, every other week, once a month, once a year, etc... Never miss a customer. I love it.

10. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

Can you upload your daily schedule from Clip, check them off duing the day recording the time and such and then simply do a hotsinc when you get back to the office to record the data? I have a Garmin IQue that I'd love to do this with.