1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Any thoughts on my start out equipment and trailer recommendations

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by irishsoul, Mar 5, 2007.

1. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Raven I like your new site good job on it

2. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

A 16' dbl axle trailer is the minimum. It might take you a years or two to realize it, but you won't be sorry. That extra space comes in handy. Maybe a stander instead of the sit down mower. IMO it's a nicer platform.

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Thanks GreenN'Clean !!

4. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

make sure you have at least one person to cut lawn for before you go out and spend all the money. i have seen more people go under this way. they go and buy top of the line stuff or just nice stuff thats A LOT more than they can afford. They go under after the first year unless the have other ways of making money.

for the trailer go for a smaller one at first just big enough to hold all your stuff. Then if you get bigger and need a bigger trailer you can sell that one and get a bigger one. but if you stay the same size than why waste the money on a big trailer that wastes gas pulling it? some thing to think about

I am working on starting out too and its pretty stressful trying to get what you want with a limited budget. Trust me i know i have about $1000 that i can work with and like $30,000 in stuff that i didnt really need. Now i need a trailer and a few odd parts. but all the trailers i want/need are over $1000. i mean i have money in a savings account but i really need that for a down payment on a house cause rent sucks.

what ever you decide to get make sure it can pay for it self. or its not worth having on a limited budget

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I disagree, get a big trailer to start with.

That extra room comes in real handy when you've suddenly got a ton of brush/leaves/grass clippings to haul around after a clean-up.

I'd also consider a good walk-behind to start with, it will save you money which can be put back into advertising or a reserve fund in case a piece of your equpment breaks.

6. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

well if you cant afford a bigger one then you cant afford it. you can put leaves in the back of your truck

7. irishsoul

irishsoul LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Thanks guys. i agree totally about keeping things affordable---not breaking myself before I start out. I'm very lucky; I have 20 accounts waiting for me and my equipment money is a gift. I got very lucky!

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

the equipment you listed should be fine for most things but I would suggest you go with a 16' tandem axle like what was mentioned before, you will need it before long.

9. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

i agree also about the trailer being bigger. i was in the market for a 14' last yr. i settled for the 16'. even if all i hual is the plugger i still have lots of room for bags along the side of the trailer. i have an 8' trailer but have not used it in a while. as far as buying used...i didnt do that. as far as the image thing i didnt want a new truck pulling someone elses used trailer...thats just me though. the trailer place had an identical used one for about a grand less and it already had a place for a cooler, trimmer, blower racks, and a rasied box for g-cans. it looked very used.
    thanks