Any thoughts on this job.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by shovelracer, Apr 24, 2007.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

OK remove an existing creosote wall 4' tall x 30' long. with 15 stairs on side built on 2 foot wall with 2' wall above it. Obtain permits, mark utilities. new wall to be 3.5' tall in front with 30' length. running uphill along the driveway 25' there will be 20 stairs. 5 groups of 4 with a 16" extra pad every 4th. Bullnose cap to stairs. Stairs built on 2' wall with 2' above that. Stairs 4' wide. Re enforced, drained, etc. Slope above wall will be 3/1 run/rise. Soil is rough clay. In smaller lake community with poor access and little parking. Total face footage is 327.

Im looking at bidding around 13600. Oh and it doesnt affect the price, but it is for my soon to be father in law. He has another for 8500, but it isnt the same detail and not sure on the contractor quality. Anyone else I would say have fun, but I dont want to see him get burned by someone else.

2. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

Working for family or soon to be family never works out. I would walk away. just my 2 cents

3. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

You can also include neighbors and friends in that statement. I dont really want the job, I have enough work. I just wanted to show him what a real job should look like since he has only got one other estimate and they didnt appear to know what they were doing. It was very vague and incomplete. Just trying to point him in the right direction. I agree that it could be nothing but problems.

4. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

Could be??? Oh I see this job turning into a nightmare! Trust me I've been their. If you want to be helpful tell him that you are just too busy but refer him to someone that you know or atleast have seen their work.