1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any thoughts on what Im looking at??

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Organic a go go, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

I mentioned earlier that Im using herbicidal soap more than vinegar now and really liking my results by and large. They don't work the same on the same weeds though. Got out my kids cheap-ey microscope and decided to compare/contrast vinegar and soap on a couple of different leaf surfaces.

Used plantain, clover, sorrel, and dandies. Soap works great on all those except clover. When I applied the soap to the other three fairly soon I could observe a small bubbling action on the leaf and within a few minutes large brown spots were visible. With the vinegar I saw nothing but after a longer time the corners of the leaf started to brown and curl.

Don't know why they don't work the same but I'd really like to.

I've also read that the soap works in the opposite way vinegar does. Its the alkalinity of the soap that degrades the leaf but when I dunked litmus paper in the soap it looked much closer to 7 than I expected.

Stumped and more curious than before.
  2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Vinegar burns away the waxy protective coating of the leaf. [I believe its called the cutin layer]
    What does the bubbling alkaline do?
  3. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

No idea but the soap produces a MUCH faster burndown side by side.