Any Thoughts

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Matt Hermann, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Matt Hermann

Matt Hermann LawnSite Member

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Way too many miles for that much money IMO. The thing looks good in the pics, and may have been well cared for, but most people don't buy a truck like that, and then use it solely for a cruiser to get around in. With that many miles, there's bound to be suspension, steering, and and drive train items that either need, or will soon need replacing. Diesels do better on fuel, but then again it cost more at the pump, and so does basic engine maintenance. I'd pass personally. All the maintenance for a 3/4 ton truck is going to cost more than for a 1/2 ton truck. You'd be much better off going with a good 1/2 ton for your first truck IMO.

3. Matt Hermann

4. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I remember being you age, and I remember not always using the best judgement on what I bought, but back then gas was a LOT cheaper LOL.

You seem bent on having a big "cool" truck to drive around, and there's nothing wrong with that, but fuel isn't ever going to get much cheaper, and both of those trucks are much more than need for anything short of heavy duty trailering and/or snow plowing. Both have fairly high milage, and both are expensive to maintain, and repair.

I really think you'd be much better off with a 1/2 ton truck. They resale better in this economy, and won't take everything you can make to fill up each week. On top of that, they'll pull any reasonable sized trailer with ease, especially for a one or two man operation.

5. Matt Hermann

Haha, yeah prettymuch. I've been looking at f-150's, but i only like the 04's and newer. heres a F150 im looking at, but its got quite a few miles.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2723059696.html

6. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

That's getting closer. The air bags though, would make me question what he has hauled in it previously. Having air bags alone does not make a work horse truck. The axleshafts inside the axle housings are what makes it capable of hauling more payload, not the air bags. What did he haul that required them? Milagewise, that seems to be common now days, but still, you need to consider what you will most likely need to start replacing sooner, rather than later. It's just the way it is when buying a used vehicle, especially with more than 50,000 miles on the odometer.

Don't be in too big a hurry. The good deals are out there, but you have to be patient and watch for them, and know what to avoid. Don't be in any hurry to buy someone else's problems, which is usually the main reason for getting rid of them (or someone who is trying to avoid having to deal with them, themselves sometime soon).

7. orinicklawncare

orinicklawncare LawnSite Member

we have had a few old duramaxs and have to watch out for the head gasket if it blows its a 5k fix but other than that its a hell of a truck

8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

First Truck: That is going to have the LB7 Duramax engine which has the very well known injector problems. Unless you can do the work yourself (which is quite a bit of work) you will be spending thousands should the injectors need replacing (not saying they are bad, but chances are if they haven't been replaced before, you will need to have them replaced shortly after purchasing). While 200,000 miles is really not a whole lot for a diesel engine or even the Allison transmission in that truck, but think about all the other components (brakes, rotors, tie rods, ect). Things can add up quickly and make for expensive repair bills. If you knew the person who owned that truck since it was new, that would be a whole different story since you would know how it was driven, taken care of, etc. But you really have no idea if this truck has been driven hard. And being young and buying your first truck, I would hate for you to get burned on this purchase.

Second Truck: While it is a very nice truck (judging by the pictures) and has fewer miles on it, that V10 is going to suck fuel like their is no tomorrow. That truck will get pretty much the same fuel mileage no matter if its towing or just tooling around town. It will tow lots but you will be paying for that at the pump. Probably not the most economical truck in the world, but it wouldn't be a bd truck.

Third Truck: F150's aren't bad trucks. I would stay with a 04 (new body style) as opposed to the heritage models, mainly for the safety ratings between them. If you look into the crash test results of the hertiage models and the 04+ models, you will see a significant difference between the two and will realize how much safer you would be in the 04+ models. That looks like a nice truck!

No matter what truck you get or want, make sure to look at it thoroughly and go through it with a "fine toothed comb". If you don't know much about trucks, take someone with you who does and do your research on the model you are looking at prior to looking at it. Make sure you can drive the truck before purchasing it and don't let dealers pressure you into a purchase.

A 1/2 ton truck should do you just fine. A 3/4 ton truck is just as good (That's all I've ever owned, even my first truck was a 3/4 ton). If you can find a good deal on a 3/4 ton, it may be worth it. Be careful with diesels, there is a little bit more to them and when something breaks, it's expensive, so you really have to know your stuff when looking at diesels (at least higher mileage ones). If I were you, I'd look for a gas 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. My Chevy 2500 doesn't get much worse fuel economy than a 1/2 ton...so it isn't that bad when paying for gas.

9. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree. A 3/4 ton can be nice. The extra payload and towing capacity is a big help if you do large landscape jobs. My GMC 2500 get the same milage that my F150 5.4 used to so I didn't sacrifice much.

Also I would avoid an 04 if you buy an F-150. I had one that had a lot of problems. They worked them out later that year. I would buy an 05 or later just to be safe.

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

have you ever thought of a v6 frontier or tacoma?...just throwing that out there because they pull alot of weight too...plenty for lawncare...my 4cyl pulls my trailer fine when loaded...just trying to open your mind to the possibilities out there...i know i get way better gas mileage that a 1/2 ton truck would...it's something to think about as gas is going to continue to go up over the years....also think about things like extended or double cabs...do you really need the space?...or is it you just want it cuz that's what the majority of people have?....i mean i got my regular cab 4x4 for $20k brand new....a v6 extended cab was $30k....is it really worth the extra $10k?....not in my opinion when i am able to get the job done just the same in a reg cab and get better gas mileage at the same time.....you kindof have to step back and look at things at a distance and not buy into all of the hype out there....that's how they get you and get into your pockets lol....just trying to help you man....my first truck was a 1988 reg cab toyota 4x4 with 100k miles on it....i bought it for $6k.....drove it to 300k miles before i sold it....so i'd say i got my money's worth out of that truck wouldn't you?..i drove it for 10 years....8 of those years were with no payment.....only things i ever had to fix were minor things like alternator, battery, tires, brake pads....so maintenance was very cheap....the more you spend on a truck usually that means the higher the maintenance costs are so just keep that in mind....if you try to get the biggest and baddest out there you are gonna end up paying for it lol.