1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any tipped a ZTR over??????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by N.H.BOY, Jul 19, 2005.

1. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone fallen or tipped their ZTR over?? I was doing a slope today and I was thinking about that as my front tires started to lift alittle off the ground. I do the slope at a angle, but the ends I have to run up straight and down the other end. Been doing this lawn for about 2 years and today was the first day my tires lifted. I must be getting to be a fat a** :p
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering the same thing. I have been on some pretty steep slopes with my ZTR and never had any problems. Personally I have never heard of anyone tipping a ZTR.
  3. pcguy

pcguy LawnSite Member

About every year or so around here it seems a homeowner with a commercial ZTR flips and either is seiously injured or killed. Sad really.
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen a couple guys do it. Mostly guys getting caught up in trees with roll bars. Its pretty easy to flip a ztr around here with the hills.

I did watch one that flipped one end over end four times. (the trac vac was acting like a roll bar, which was the only thing saved the guy) I ran up to the guys to see if he was ok. He screamed something in spanish and took off running.
  5. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

I flipped mine because my rear wheels came off the 2x4 ramps. Bad news for the mower, thank god I was able to bail quick.
  6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I think it would be pretty hard to flip a Z. I have taken my Z on some very serious hills and have, for the most part, remained in control the whole time.
  7. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have never had a problem with mine and I have slopes all over. But my dealer tells me there are some guys that come in to the shop all bruised and battered from flipping theirs. I think they hit a bump on the hill and just lost control.

So yes it does happen so everyone stay safe out there.
  8. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

I know a guy that flipped his commerical 60" Gravely the first day he had it. He had a contract mowing like 70 electric substations and he said he was haulin tryin to get done with one and didn't get stopped quick enough at the fence and it climbed and flipped over backwards. He bailed and wasn't hurt. So it can happen. I would think that a ZTR would be easier to flip on incliens than a regular mower, I've come close to flippin my Crapsman a time or 2.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, the mowers are pretty darn stable as long as you are in control of them.

But if it breaks loose and starts to run away like they often do... then all bets are off.

So runaway potential and steep uphills are what worry me the most.
    But most of my really scary situations have had to do with dropoffs and sloped areas combined.

I've been in real trouble twice with that sort of situation. Both times my wife happened to be on the job with me also.... and both times I've escaped without injury to me or the equipment.

You really have to be extra careful with this zero turn equipment because it all can be unpredictable at best....
  10. The Grass Amputator

The Grass Amputator LawnSite Member

I operate a ZMaster, and the only time I encounter problems on inclines and hills is when moisture/water is involved. Put it in a ditch just a couple of days ago on one of my commercial contracts.

Tomorrow, I am cutting one of my school contracts, where there are 3 hellacious hills. Won't cut them early in the morning, will wait until mid-late afternoon, when everything should be dried out.

When I get a digital cam, I'll have to take some pics of these hills for you guys, you won't believe them.