Any tips to combat theft from the back of the truck?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Freddy_Kruger, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Someone said he puts his blower and trimmer in the back yard soon as he gets there... Not sure about that myself.

Is theft an issue even?

2. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

get lockable racks or a truck cap!!

3. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

At the very least get a good bike chain locks if you dont have the immediate finances to get a trimmer rack but get one . Trimmer rack that holds 3 trimmers securely =200 dollars, 3 good trimmers=900 to 1400 dollars Any questions. Do a search theft is a problem, protect your stuff

4. gce_ent

gce_ent LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Springfield 1911 with Federal Ammo

5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

If you are a solo op. you must lock this stuff up. I try to keep at least 2 but usually 3 people on a crew. It is company policy that someone is in view of the rig at all times. When they can't be, like on condos ect.. the trailer is locked and nothing left outside. I know it can be a hassle, but when you lose a $500 backpack ect., that few seconds is worth it.

6. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

good call you wouldn't have to worry about a customer not paying either showing up at a front door with a handgun

7. barefootlawns

barefootlawns LawnSite Member

i prefer the new springfield XD 45

8. firehoyt

firehoyt LawnSite Member
    from Bham AL

:gunsfirin

9. gce_ent

gce_ent LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I did not want to hijack the thread but in all seriousness if they want it they will probably get it. I like the above idea to have someone watching the equipment at all times. I had a crew which was out doing some excavation with one of my trailers which has a tool box on it. The kind with hidden locks. My crew moved around the corner, still in sight I beleive, and someone pulled up next to it and tried to use a cutting torch on it. Now it got stopped but it is one hell of a steel box. I think anything else and it would have been gone. Anyway, worthless story. I would just lock it down with whatever you got and keep eyes on it.

Oh yeah and the XD is pretty sweet but to thick for me in the grip. I do love the Para Warthog though!

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We use steel cable with locks on anything sitting in the truck bed. This is for our one man operations.