1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any tricks to bring back a dead battery?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TimTim2008, Sep 18, 2008.

1. TimTim2008

TimTim2008 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there any tricks to bringing back a dead battery?

i have tons of them laying around the house... some not too old..

was going to take them to the recycler this weekend, after i tried to recharge them one more time..
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, buy a new one :p

Seriously, I would try the lowest amp-setting trickle charge, leave it overnight
    or even 24 hours, some are likely to hold the charge, others might not.

Personally, I would recommend the following times, this is considering a 1-2 amp trickle charge:
    Up to 400amps cc, overnight.
    5-6-700 cca's, 24 hours.
    750-1000 cca's, 36 hours.
    And if you have any >1000 cca's or 1500's, also some 750-1000's will take 48 hours and to play it 100% safe.
    But most of the 2-3-400 cca small batteries, 12 hours / overnight should be enough.
  3. TimTim2008

ok thanks...
  4. TimTim2008

damn winter just killed another battery of mine..
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

You live in Georgia!? How cold it is, like 40? lol!

Ask most mechanics and they will tell you that it's not the cold that kills battereis, it's heat. Now, I don't get it either... Maybe the heat over the summer weakens them and then when the cold gets there they don't have the cca's they are supposed too anymore.

What brand of batteries are you using? I've never seen a Numax before. I think most are good batteries anymore, though I like to stick with Interstate. As long as they have a long warranty you should be safe. Most have a 36 or 48 month full replacement, and 72 to 80 month pro-rated. My last Interstate lasted exactly to the end of the warranty, which I thought was quite funny.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I just recycle mine.
  7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I have had to listen to this story a thousand times.

My father, years ago worked in the goodyear warranty department.
    When warranty and core batteries would come in as returns or just beyond their life, they would take every one of them and put them on a sloooow trickle charge for like 24 or 48 hours....

After doing that and load testing them and such 9 out of 10 of them were good.

Everytime i want to toss a battery, he takes the darn thing and does that.....And as much as I hate to admit it, hes usually right. It goes back in a truck or piece of equipment and lives on another few years......haha

So try that.
  8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I have taken a wallwart charger and left it hooked up for a week and brought a couple of batteries back to life. I havent had as much success using my bigger charger set at the lowest 2amp setting. The theory I was told is that the low amperage will slowly cause the electrolite to bubble and clean the plates inside the battery, which is what causes the batteries to fail. according to my info, the sulfate build up on the plates prevent current flow between the plate, and if the build up is sever enought can actually short out the plates. I havent verified this with any other source, so I dont know how true it is, but sometimes the trickel charge works, and sometimes it doesnt.
  9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I've done this in the past, but since all I use now is Optima batteries, I don't have to.

Drain the old acid out into a container and flush the plates as best as you can with distilled water. As long as junk keeps coming out, keep flushing. When you are satisfied that you've cleaned it out, fill it with distilled water and trickle charge with a 1/2 amp (or 1 amp, but lower is better) motorcycle-type charger for 24 -48 hrs. Check water level every couple of hours at first and add distilled water if necessary. I've gotten an additional 2-3 years out of a battery.
  10. TimTim2008

can i use Tap water? or it must be distilled?

do i need new acid?