Any tricks to squeeze out some more speed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CuttinUP, Mar 10, 2006.

1. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

Does any one know of any tricks to get some more speed out of 48tthp 17kaw? After demoing a ZTR it seems that my tthp has slowed down:laugh:.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Make sure your RPM's are set correctly.

At least 3750 free load.

3. CuttinUP

the gauge on it reads about 3580. but I don't know how accurate it is , I'll check it with my Fluke Multi Meter. Thanks TLS

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Thats low...crank em up!:cool2:

5. CuttinUP

I'll do that. How would I check the linkage adjustment to see if it is set properly?

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I don't understand your question.

If its taching out at 3580, it ISN'T set properly. You'll need to adjust it.

Most Kawi's high speed adjustment involves loosening the throttle brackets at the carb and pulling the entire bracket tighter.

I don't know if your Kawi is like my 14hp or my 27hp.

Make sure you have a new spark plug, airfilter, and fuel filter installed prior to setting RPM's.

7. CuttinUP

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. I am referring to the hydro linkage adjustment. I understand the throttle adjustment, thanks. How often should I replace the spark plugs? I pulled them out at 200 hrs and they looked great. I now have 225 hrs on it. Probably should go ahead and replace them huh?

8. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

the thing you have to watch out for when adjusting the linkage on the tthp is that you dont go too far b/c then you wont have reverse .

9. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

check your throttle cable and make sure its not sliding where it attaches to the engine. Mine worked lose and lost rpms.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

- pwner snip -