1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Any tricks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Outdoor Creations, May 7, 2007.

1. Outdoor Creations

Outdoor Creations LawnSite Member

Hi, I have a couple of things:
    *I have a Exmark 60, is there any tricks that anyone uses to change the blades. Sometimes they can get pretty tight and be a real pain to get off.
    *I have a vac on the 60 and I always get a build up of grass in the top part where the rotor blades spin. When it does that it makes it harder to run nice and smooth.I can only reach in so far to get it scrapped or do you have to take it all apart.
    Anyone ever use some kind of spray (cooking) on the shut to not have the grass cling to it?
    Any ideas would help!
  2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Impact wrench is the best tool to remove blades, a cheap electric, battery powered or air will do the job very easily. The vibration from impact works much better than strong steady pressure and it is a lot easier on you. I have a cheap electric which has worked flawlessly but I also have the high torque 18 volt Dewalt, they are fairly expensive.

I snatch the mower up in the air with a chain fall, buzz the blades off and have the new ones on in less than 5 minutes. Lining the mower and getting the chain fall attached takes 2/3's of the time.
  3. Brett's Cutting Edge

Brett's Cutting Edge LawnSite Member
    from novi

Put some anti-sieze on the bolts. it makes it alot easier to get off.
  4. hdhillin

hdhillin LawnSite Member

Try a iron pile as an extension or a breaker bar.
  5. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i had a bar made that slips over the blade and hits against the area where the grass chute is and it makes it alot easier for me
  6. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I use anti sieze and a breaker bar.
  7. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

As far as grass sticking to the chute, there is a product called Mo-Deck that works pretty well and keeping grass from sticking.