Any trimmers to stay away from?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PascoPropMaint, Dec 22, 2007.

1. PascoPropMaint

PascoPropMaint LawnSite Member

I need to get a new line trimmer. I'm looking at the RedMax TR2300S and Echo SRM-230. Any other ones I should be looking at in the < $300 range? I'm fairly short (5'8"), so I don't want some huge trimmer.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The Echo srm-230s with a steel drive shaft makes it a best value for commercial operators.
    Straight from their web site but I've used an Echo 260s before, you can't beat it for longevity and it does good on fuel, I used to get 8-10 lawns a tank and go all day without refueling, runs forever just doesn't have that much power but it is made for heavy duty.

3. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto :drinkup:

4. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I saw Echo SRM260 type for $299 in the strore here, a touch below $300!! Can't go wrong with SRM230 or SRM260. I saw also RedMax BCZ300S for $329 in the store, a little over but it is such a nice one. I almost bought it. I bought a Honda, Honda HHT25S $329 is good but very heavy, if you going to use for long period of time as a pro, not good.
    Shindaiwa T242 might be in the price range. Only thing I don't like about RedMax 2300, I think they only have 2 bolts holding the cylinder. I don't know whether it is important, I just prefer 4 bolts.

Avoid buying cheap brand like Craftsman, Troy Bilt, Ryobi, Homelite, Weedeater etc from Sears, Lowes and Home Depot.

Good luck. I spent a lot of time going back and forth.

5. deason

deason LawnSite Member

We run all Stihls so I cant tell you about red max. I do know that they are a good comparable trimmer. We started this past year changing all our front line trimmers from the stihl FS85s to the 110s 4 strokes. Good power and reliability for about $325.

6. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

$325 for the FS110, that's good price!!! Or you buy multiple units at a time. Best I saw here is $349!! Good for you. Then the FS100 must be right in the $300 range. That's the lowest model I would buy on the 4 Mix. FS90 has plastic lower crankcase that does not sit well with me. I know...I am old school!!! Even though plastic has proven itself time and time, just that....it's plastic!!!!

7. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

I have had several 2300's since they came out end of 2005(I believe that was when).
    I am tired of fighting with having to lube the cables constantly, seems like every other day, and getting the heck shocked out of my guys when they are sweating and the switch housing gets wet. Also when you buy one make sure you buy a set of steel clutches to go in it, I think it is the clutches off the 2400.
    We are changing out to the 4 stroke sthil 100rx trimmers, they are lightweight and I am hoping they are reliable.

I was a firm beleiver in redmax until this year, but I am done with those. I have had all 3 current eb8000 backpack blowers frame warp,crack and break off under the tank After buying 3 new frames and new tanks, my dealer finds out I am converting to sthil. He has his distributor call me to talk about issues I have had with the redmax handhelds, he tells me they knew they had a problem with the frames and never offers to credit my account for the frames. The blowers are still under warranty. The switch and throttle on the RH version is not durable at all, we had to JB weld all cables in to place and just don't have on/off switches anymore.

The 7000 blowers are fine except for the RH handle, and a few motor mount bolts working loose.

With the extended reach hedge trimmers, issues on them we have had is the bolts keep working out of the gearbox even with blue loctite, no matter how tight we try to get them without stripping the aluminum holes. Maybe if they were loctited from the factory before the grease worked in the holes, they may stay. They bind up when you cut anything bigger than about a 3/32 diameter limb. You cannot buy just the hedger end unless you buy that shortbladed one and I have had several housings just break out the side of the housing where the cam that moves the blades are. You can buy the housing and new blade, but the cost is not justifyable when you look at the other manuf units that you can buy outright. They also shock the heck out of you when you get sweat on the switch. If you break a blade they are outrageously expensive.

No real issues with the edger except for the shocking issue.

Please keep in mind, these units are heavily used.
    I do expect a commercial grade trimmer to last one year with very few issues. After that I replace them with new ones.

8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I would steer clear of the Echo SRM 230 line. I know some like them, but they just aren't built to hold up to heavy daily use. I used to be able to get them fairly cheap, after going through 3 of them in 2 seasons, I decided to step up. My brother has a 260 which he likes. I'm goin' Stihl, the 100, I think.

9. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Buy a stihl fs80r and put a steel shaft in it. It is the best trimmer I have owned imo. I have two and love em. Had a redmax bcz2600s and never really liked it. The gearbox always whined and the unit was very unbalanced. Also, the head on those are crap. Once I switched to stihl I couldn't believe how much more balanced and smooth they were. I will be buying a fs100rx or a 110r If I need another trimmer.

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

The X means flex shaft. These units are just as good as those with steel shafts but they won't accept blades.

Oldtimer